PDA

View Full Version : More on Fireforming AI Brass

us920669
01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
There was an interesting thread a while back, let me add - I have to make some 30 AI and all of my bullets are buck-a-pop affairs, too. I certainly would not shoot breakfast food, toilet paper, used tampons or anything similar in my gun. I found some really nice cast bullets on Gunbroker - it's probably against the law to give him a plug, but just look at the pictures and you can see bright smooth bullets, nicely lubed but not all slimy - highly recommended. I got a 191 gr. and used 30.5 gr IMR 4198, which is pretty stiff, I'm sure 3031, N140, probably many others would be fine. I will tip the rifle up each time to get the powder back around the primer - seems to matter in loads like these. I never had any luck using pistol powders. Now, I might have outsmarted myself. I haven't been able to shoot any of these yet, but I am sure they will be fine. I crimped them, with the dedicated Lee tool (so nice) which may be forbidden for BR/varmint guys, but I usually draw down on deer.

dcloco
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, two schools of thought AND practice on this.

I believe both are correct...

Theory 1 - fireform with bullet, powder, and primer that you plan to use after fireformed. Multiple benefits are supposed to be had in this example. You may find THE powder/primer/bullet seating length combination to start your actual load ladders with after fireforming.

Theory 2 - get the brass fireformed and start working ladders.

In practice, I use both. When faced with your dilemma of dollar a piece bullets, well, believe I would find super cheap bullets and a powder that will provide 85-95 % of case volume.

Not in all cases, but generally, I seat the bullet so there is a 0.010 to 0.020" jam into the lands.

Hope this helps!

Eric in NC
01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
30 AI?

30-06AI? 30-40AI?

Cast bullets are great, but mixing cast and jacketed bullets in rifle bores can cause a real hard to clean mess. Be sure you clean ALL of the lead out of the bore before switching to jacketed bullets or you may have a really hard to clean situation on your hands.

us920669
01-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Gee, I've been doing that for decades, never had a problem. Actually, I think lead w/ gas check is cleaner than copper, with all that fouling. I clean with paste, which some people hate, but I absolutely swear by it. Re seating on lands, I guess smiths have to take a turn off the barrel when reaming for AI. I see I can't get the same depth I was using for '06. Kind of a shame, paying for more capacity and then losing it with a bullet's big fat butt. I like having some cast bullets around. Maybe I'll work up a squirrel load, or get a sporterized Krag - should probably see a shrink about that. Thanks for all the help.

GaCop
01-10-2011, 08:25 AM
I pretty much form my 223AI cases like dcloco. I jam ( .010" - .015") some cheap Armscor 62 gr FMJs that shoot like crap in even my AR so I'm using up crappy bullets and getting my brass formed. Cases fill out nicely on first firing with new brass.