PDA

View Full Version : Looking to customize my model 16, what will fit?????

Buoy8
01-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Looking to fit my model 16 .243 (weather warrior) with a new stock/barrel. From what I understand a stock listed for the 10 & 12 series will also fit the 16, is this correct? Will a 16 action be compatible with any short action Savage stock?

I've already decided on which stock i want, but not sure on the barrel yet. Looking for something in a varmint contour, would prefer a 26" length. Anybody have any input on a good quality/good value barrel?

I appreciate any ideas...

helotaxi
01-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Other than the "short magnum" actions and the "target" actions that have a larger diameter threaded shank, all Savage 1x or 11x actions are the same. The only differences that you get with the different last digits is how they are fitted out from the factory. For example, the model 12s are fitted with a varmint contour barrel and the 16s and 116s are stainless. The dimensions are the same on the actions of both.

northlander
01-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Buoy8,
Before you rush out and start buying what you want the answer from Helotaxi is maybe right and maybe wrong. If your Model 16 is old enough it is right. If your model 16 is one of the newer Accu-Stock Actions the answer is wrong.

When Savage came out with the Accu-Stock the part swapping all but stopped. The receiver is not the same. As a result of that the stock is not the same. The Barrel is switchable but without a custom after market stock you can only swap the barrel.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Buoy8
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Thank you very much both of you for that info. My 16 does not have the accu-stock system, so I'll be fine. Anyone have any info on quality varmint barrels at a decent price????

thirty06
01-07-2011, 06:42 PM
For quality barrels, and other parts go to the Venders section.
Northland Shooter Supply.

leather5to1
01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I've had nothing but good luck with shilen barrels. Just received my first mcgowen but haven't set it or fired it yet. Looks good though. I believe northlander deals with both. I see you have a 243, glad to see you are changing that, go with a 6mm rem. ;)

helotaxi
01-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Jim-

Do you have pics of the Accustock action out of the stock next to a "regular" action to show the differences?

shovelheadave
01-08-2011, 08:24 AM
For quality barrels, and other parts go to the Venders section.
Northland Shooter Supply.

x2

shovelheadave
01-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Also, spend the $12 to become a paid member, it'll pay for itself many times over. It's the best $12 I've ever spent.

FW Conch
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Budget is,of course, relative. Starting a varmint rifle build from a 200 Stevens, we are hard pressed to get it done for $800, not counting the scope. I have done several of these,useing money that could be better spent on a new (used) pickup truck,but not near as much fun :).

All of the above mentioned barrels are great, but if you are searously on a budget, don't be afraid to get an E.R. Shaw barrel. I got one in 260 Rem, custom made to my spccs, for $175, takes about 4 months for delevery, will shoot to the "same hole" @ 200yds, if I can ::).

Also, I got an A & B from Midway in 358 Win, on sale for $103 that challenges the accuracy of any production rifle! ;D

This is just to mention a few options, but if you really "want it", forget the budget & just "save","slave", a little longer ! Good Shooting-Jim