PDA

View Full Version : More on bolt disassembly, or am I a moron

us920669
01-06-2011, 10:08 AM
After 50 years of shooting I just got my first Savage, an older 110 in 30-06 Ackley Improved. If anyone has any thoughts about this cartridge I would be interested. I love the way the bolt comes apart. I took my screw out in the rifle with the bolt uncocked - screw was just snug - which made the job a piece of cake. Of course, I had to cock it before reinstalling, easily done by pushing the button down on the work bench edge. But now I read somewhere on the internet - not in this forum - someone says you have to be careful to put the washer back in the same way. How could this possibly matter? I know thrust washers can break, could it hurt it to turn it around? I'm still a little clunky on this here computer stuff, but I'll check back often. Thanks, Doug in Virginia

Blue Avenger
01-06-2011, 11:40 AM
As long as it is in there, really dose not matter which side of the baffle it is on depending which thought you prescribe to. Some think by moving it to the other side of the baffle they wipe less grease off the lugs.

Blue Avenger
01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I have a .30-06AI. I use the Lee collet die and neck size the brass. Not very expensive to do.

us920669
01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Thank you gents. I haven't been able to get down to my land to do any shooting yet but I'll chime in from time to time. The guy I read - I think he's a magazine writer or something - seemed to say that the washer had to be oriented the same way, not turned around. Makes no sense to me. I put the bolt back together the same way it was.

Blue Avenger
01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
with a wave washer that rotates as you move parts there is no upside down. :)