PDA

View Full Version : working up a load

jgerrington
01-06-2011, 07:47 AM
What is the best way you have found to work up a load for accuracy? I have been leaving everything the same except seating depth then will try powder weights. Is this the best way or should I get powder right first? My thoughts are if I got powder first then changing seating depth could increase pressure too much? Just looking for suggestions from you Target and varmint guys.

racinready300ex
01-06-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm working up a load for my 6BR, wanted to get it done in as few shots as possible. Started with a Ladder test figure out the powder. After 2, 10 round ladders I came up with 29.8 - 30.1. Then shot some 5 shot groups and settled on 29.9 grains of varget, shooting 2.981" and a 3.032" 5 shot group, with 3 of the shots under 1". All this was done at the longest range I have access to, 600 yards. Total rounds fired so far is 50.

Next will be seating depth, I will go to the range this weekend with rounds load at .005 increments of OAL and see if I can tighten it up some.

I try to start with components that I know will work. This load is Lapua brass, berger 105's, CCI BR4's and Varget.

Blue Avenger
01-06-2011, 11:58 AM
specific range you are intrigued in? Some great long range loads are horrible at short range. If you do not need the speed You can find a always find a good spot in the 1/3 powder capacity range. Full throttle is harder to hit.

stimpylu32
01-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I start with powders first at the factory COL , once I find the best load there , its time to start working out with the COL .

This has worked fine for me to this point , also I most often find that the best groups happen before I hit MAX load , dead is the same @ 3100 fps or 3300 fps , so no real reason to push the ragged edge in most case's .

stimpy

Predator1
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I always set my seating depth at .015 off the lands to start andn then I find the right powder and charge weight. I shoot 4 shot groups to save barrel life but will follow it up witha 5 shot to "Prove" a load. Once I find the powder and charge I move the OAL .005 at a time to fine tune.

dsculley
01-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Check out this site for information on working up loads. I have found this method to work well. http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

jgerrington
01-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I want to get the most velocity as I can. Looks like you all change powder first then seating depth. I'm just scared my optimal powder charge will be right at max and changing seating depth might increase pressures. I got my groups to 0.6 in now maybe changing powder charges and/or powders will get me under 0.5 in?

I am having a shoot out in a few months out to 500 yards with coworkers who all have remington 700 sendero. I can't lose.

Captain Finlander
01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I want to get the most velocity as I can. Looks like you all change powder first then seating depth. I'm just scared my optimal powder charge will be right at max and changing seating depth might increase pressures. I got my groups to 0.6 in now maybe changing powder charges and/or powders will get me under 0.5 in?

I am having a shoot out in a few months out to 500 yards with coworkers who all have remington 700 sendero. I can't lose.

Why do you need more velocity? You have a .5" group going and 100 fps makes almost no difference at all. Your wasting your time trying to squeeze more speed out that load IMO. I would be looking to make it a .25" group ILO of a .5" and let the velocity chips fall where they fall.

GaCop
01-09-2011, 08:53 AM
+1 what Capt Finlander said. Tweek your seating depth to see if you can shrink the groups.

Uncle Jack
01-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I have to agree. If your goal is accuracy at 500 yards, 100 fps muzzle velocity plus or minus is meaningless.

uj

tammons
01-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Find a node first and then play with the seating depth.
Your node is most likely always going to be lower than your max load.

I haven't loaded for any serious target shooting in a while, but what I used to do for single loading
is just start off jamming VLD bullets maybe about 5-10 thou, and jump flatbase bullets about 15 thou, find for a node
then play with seating depths.

Some folks start off with the bullet touching the lands, some jump.