PDA

View Full Version : Rem700 hs stock to savage

rock337
01-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help. Some time ago i ordered a MCM stock for a 300 mag build, but after 4 months still no stock and come to find out MCM lost my order. Due to my time table to get this gun done, i am looking at a HS stock; however they only have longactions in rem 700. I have heard of people retrofitting them to savage actions, have any of you done this before? what would you do? I can't wait another 13 weeks for a manners or MCM.

cowboyarcher
01-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Should be just redrilling the screw holes and cutting a new slot for the recoil lug. . . Probably some bedding and fitting around the trigger too and maybe the mag box? If the new stock is set up for DBM or an HFP, probably better off to just cover the opening than to try and use it. You'd have a blind mag set up then.

May look into Stockade stocks also and see if he can help you too. He's on par with HS I'd say, or better for Savage's since that's his specialty.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

Adam

sharpshooter
01-06-2011, 10:29 PM
A long action Remington is a world apart from a Savage, especially in a HS stock with the aluminum frame.
If you are interested, I have a Stockade Wood chuck for a long action that I will part with.

rock337
01-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your responses gents. I did look at stockade once before but since the I bought the stock through a local gun shop, I kinda have to stick with their suppliers. My gunsmith seems pretty confident on the retrofit so i guess we shall see how well it works lol. How much are you acking for the woodchuck? I have been thinking of building a .280 soon and If i can't find a good wood stock i would be interested in your woodchuck.

Jason

pdog06
01-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Dont know why you need to stay with his suppliers since they lost your order. It wasnt your fault.

I'm sure the gunsmith can make it fit.But the tangs are different, the bolt release for the Savage will have to be cutout, and much more, including a bedding job.. So I'm sure it wont be a cheap job.

BTW, if you go onto Mcmillans site they have a few A-5's for a long action in their "specials" section that are ready to go.

pdog06
01-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Heres the info from the Mcmillan site:
---------------------------------------------------

#2509 A5 80% BLACK 20% GRAY MARBLE, SNIPER FILL, RH SAVAGE LONG ACTION, CENTERFEED MODEL, FAC SAV DBM, FAC SAV MAG B/C, SPACER SYSTEM, SADDLE C/P, 2 STUDS. $625.00 12/4/10

#2390 ADJ A5 PAINTED BLACK, RH SAVAGE LONG ACTION, STAGGERFEED MODEL, FAC DBM, .250" LUG, FAC SAV VARMINT B/C, 1" DEC PAD, INTEGRAL C/P, 3 STUDS, ALUMINUM PILLAR INSTALLED. $475.00

----------------------------------------------------

http://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-specials-aseries.php