PDA

View Full Version : Center or Staggered feed

Skunce
10-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I going to put together a 204 Ruger using a McGowan barrel. I don't have an action yet and want to know if there is any advantage to using the center or staggered feed type? Also I see actions listed as a varmint or sporter what's the difference?

LHitchcox
10-13-2009, 03:58 AM
I have both and I like staggered better. Staggered works well with normal cases. Savage went centerfeed because the short fats wouldn't geed reliably in the staggered. As far as varmint vs sporter, it is the barrel contour. Varmint barrels are thicker.

pdog06
10-13-2009, 07:09 AM
If you are looking at the actions listed in Northlanders ad, the difference in sporter vs. varmint is that the varmint action has the lighter trigger spring in it. The varmint trigger goes down to 1.5 lbs, compared to 2.5lbs for the sporter trigger.

Woodser
10-13-2009, 07:53 AM
I have both staggered and centered, and the staggered is much more reliable in feeding in those rifles I have with it. My centered feed rifles in 223 and 308 miss the feed about every third shot. While this is unimportant on the bench, it is a PITA in the field. Have tried bending the feed lips to improve it, but so far without success.

Stu
10-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Yea, my centerfeed 223 doesn't feed reliably either. Cycle the bolt too quickly and it kicks the round up into the top of the receiver, Then about half the time it won't pick up the last round in the mag.

Skunce
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Looks like staggered feed is the way to go. Are all the current production short actions center feed?

pdog06
10-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Are all the current production short actions center feed?

yep, but Northlander still has some staggerfeeds in stock. They also come up often in the classifieds, but usually dont last long.

Skunce
10-15-2009, 12:26 PM
How can I tell a staggered from a center feed on a used rifle? Are there any pictures on this site of the two types? Do the new actions from Northland come with the magazine, trigger guard, recoil lug, and nut? If not where's the best place to pick that stuff up. Sorry about all the questions and I appreciate the help. This is my first time building a rifle from scratch.

Thanks John

ellobo
10-15-2009, 03:51 PM
If Jim Briggs at Northlander doesnt have what you need Fred Moreo at SharpShooterSupply.com will have anything else. Be not afraid.

El Lobo