PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II and .22 short shells?

aawilson
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi guys, new to the forum, and to Savage rifles!

Just got my Mark II G today, its a thing of beauty. I shouldered someone elses before buying this one, and fell in love with the feel and balance of it, so out came the Christmas bucks!
The stock has a lovely dark brown coloration that wasn't apparent in the Cabelas Canada catalogue. I haven't had the chance to shoot it, that will have to wait till the weekend. I did load the magazine and cycle 10 rounds through it to see if they would feed properly, as some apparently have had trouble. Mine functioned perfectly. :D

I have a question somebody here can surely answer...the manual says nothing about shooting short shells at all, but the barrell says .22 LR only. I am assuming that shorts are not recommended by Savage? I don't plan on using them much anyhow, but someone somewhere is going to tell me its fine; i want to be sure.

Blue Avenger
01-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Has worked for years.

Some times you get feed problems and you can also get a "burn ring or carbon ring" where the case and bullet separate. causing extraction problems when you switch to longer ammo.

TOP PREDATOR
01-05-2011, 08:00 PM
22lr only means just use 22lr, as described above what can happen

cci makes a short / long, which is basically the same bullet and powder charge but in the longer LR case to accomodate .22lr only rifles.

Eric in NC
01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Doubt they will feed from the mag, accuracy will probably be poor due to long jump to rifling, and the carbon ring/fouling problem mentioned.

But - no other problems (probably manual feeding directly into chamber as a single shot etc.).

If you are looking for a "quiet" round - the Remingtion CBee round may be a better choice. Accuracy is iffy at significant ranges but for pest control around the house/barn it is worth looking at.

Dead Lizzard
01-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Shooting shorts is "safe", but expect the accuracy to be sub-par. The reason is that the rifling twist is not designed for the short. May I make a suggestion: In affordable priced ammunition ($5/box of 50 or less), I have found nothing that will outshoot the CCI standard velocity. This cartridge does not break the sound barrier so there is no loud crack.

Trenton91
08-27-2017, 02:17 AM
Shooting shorts is "safe", but expect the accuracy to be sub-par. The reason is that the rifling twist is not designed for the short. May I make a suggestion: In affordable priced ammunition ($5/box of 50 or less), I have found nothing that will outshoot the CCI standard velocity. This cartridge does not break the sound barrier so there is no loud crack.Actually, they do break the sound barrier. Chrony'd from a Savage Mark II FV, they averaged 1150, which is over the 1125 sound barrier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk