View Full Version : Ring height with B&C Medalist

jimbo88mm
01-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Currently I have a Stevens 200 in a B&C Medalist with a Simmons Pro Sport 50mm scope and high 1 inch rings.

I had a hard time with the eye relief and cheek weld.

I just put on an EGW 0 moa base. The eye relief and cheek weld are now perfect.

Next I am planning to pick up a new scope. If I get something like a Vortex Viper with a 44mm objective and 30mm tube, do you think med rings will work or should I stick with high rings?

I'm a little concerned that while med rings will allow enough clearance it might be too low for good eye relief/cheek weld given the Medalist naturally high cheek rest.

Thanks

pdog06
01-05-2011, 11:39 PM
I have had no problems with the medium rings with the same scope/stock/base/ring setup you are gonna have, but everyone is different.

You wanna keep the same scope height to the center of the eyepiece to achieve the same cheekweld, so you just need to find which 30mm rings have the same height measurement to the center of the scope tube as the "high" 1" rings you have now. A "high" in a 1" may have a different height than a "high" in a 30mm ring.

pdog06
01-05-2011, 11:56 PM
For example, heres some measurements for Burris Signature Zee rings:

a 1" "HIGH" ring will measure .920" from the base to the center of the scope tube.

a 30mm(or 1.18") "HIGH" ring will measure .890" from the base to the center of the scope tube. An "extra high" would be 1.17" to the center of the tube

Be careful. Some brands give measurments to the center of the scope tube, some give them to the bottom of the scope tube. SO you may need to adjust your measurements accordingly.

jimbo88mm
01-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks pdog!