PDA

View Full Version : Small shank 338's

dcompton
01-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi all,

Did some searching of the forums and would like to follow up with a question for some folks to put in their $.02.

I have an older 110 small shank action. I would like to build a 338RUM or 338/300. This is a complete how cheap can I build it winter project. I was looking at ER Shaw replacement barrels and they do chamber the 338RUM but only in large shank. My "Plan B" is to purchase one of their 338-06 (small shank) and rechamber or just buy a 338 blank and contour and chamber from there. However, a duck is still a duck, and I have a small shank receiver. The guy at ER Shaw made it sound like I'd be one trigger pull from making the Darwin Awards if I chambered a 338RUM in a small shank barrel. Anyone here running a small shank 338RUM or Edge? Just curious before I begin my project. Thanks in advance!

DC

sinman
01-04-2011, 03:11 PM
I have made tons of them and the cheapest I would go with out sacrificing quality would be on of my sin ARM barrels. At least then you can get the proper length barrel and have one that shoots very well.

358Hammer
01-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I have two large shank 338 Edge's and am currently working on putting together a small shank Edge. The rechambered 300 Rum barrel will be in my hands tomorrow. Note: Comparison of the 300 Rum barrel taper and how much steel is around the front of the case and what the calculation amount by re-chambering a Savage 338 WIN Mag to the Edge. I am guessing right now that the later will not leave enough steel thus making the idea unsafe. If things go well I will make my small shank Edge. The key in my opinion is where the taper starts in relationship to the chamber. This is definitely relational to the amount of steel around the forward portion of the case when the cartridge ignites.

Several of the barrel Manufacturers will not make a small shank Edge because of the anomaly. I have spoken with several smiths that advise against and two that say no big deal.

Safety first is my moto and for a 1/2 pound of carry weight I would rather have that extra margin of error (steel) around the cartridge. It is inexpensive to ask a smith to open up a small shank action and make a large shank!

Neal

Bullistik
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I have two large shank 338 Edge's and am currently working on putting together a small shank Edge. The rechambered 300 Rum barrel will be in my hands tomorrow. Note: Comparison of the 300 Rum barrel taper and how much steel is around the front of the case and what the calculation amount by re-chambering a Savage 338 WIN Mag to the Edge. I am guessing right now that the later will not leave enough steel thus making the idea unsafe. If things go well I will make my small shank Edge. The key in my opinion is where the taper starts in relationship to the chamber. This is definitely relational to the amount of steel around the forward portion of the case when the cartridge ignites.

Several of the barrel Manufacturers will not make a small shank Edge because of the anomaly. I have spoken with several smiths that advise against and two that say no big deal.

Safety first is my moto and for a 1/2 pound of carry weight I would rather have that extra margin of error (steel) around the cartridge. It is inexpensive to ask a smith to open up a small shank action and make a large shank!

Neal

Not to derail but it might be for good info to the OP as well. You mentioned having a small shank reciever opened up to a large shank receiver. This leads to a question I have been wondering for quite some time. Is the OD of the large shank and the small shank receivers different? I have a number of small shank receivers to play with and this could be my ticket to some larger caliber fun.

Thanks

geargrinder
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Not to derail but it might be for good info to the OP as well. You mentioned having a small shank reciever opened up to a large shank receiver. This leads to a question I have been wondering for quite some time. Is the OD of the large shank and the small shank receivers different? I have a number of small shank receivers to play with and this could be my ticket to some larger caliber fun.

Thanks

The OD is the same for both.

Bullistik
01-04-2011, 09:25 PM

Thanks

The OD is the same for both.

HOT DAMN!!!! My project list just changed to include some larger bores.

Thanks GG

geargrinder
01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
I have made tons of them and the cheapest I would go with out sacrificing quality would be on of my sin ARM barrels. At least then you can get the proper length barrel and have one that shoots very well.

Here is a small shank 338 Edge McGowan barrel that Sinman made for me.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001327.jpg

Before that, I bough one of his small shank Sin Arms barrels in 338 Edge. Both shoot fantastic. Devin is great to deal with.

dcompton
01-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey thanks everyone for chiming in so far! That is what I LOVE about this forum honest opinions without being prejudged. Looks like the easiest answer for me is to just open up the receiver. I have plenty of milling machine and lathe experience, and it should be a pretty easy set-up. A little boring bar and some threading and I should be all set. My other other option is to go with the 338-06 small shank Shaw barrel in a heavy varmint contour and rechamber to 338RUM or 338/300. Am I correct in my assumption that this heavy contour would also leave plenty of barrel thickness out on the front end of the chamber? Any follow-up thoughts? I have a full shop and machine 0% AR lowers all the time, so machining and equipment is not an issue. Just want the project to be safe. Thanks again for the honest replies.

DC

geargrinder
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
IMHO, it's a waste of time opening up an action. It would be a lot of work just to use a mid-grade barrel.

Get a good barrel for a little more from Sinman, Northlander, or any of the other guys that offer quality pre-fits.

358Hammer
01-04-2011, 11:41 PM
I am going to say yes to your question with one hitch. Why?

As gear grinder indicated already. In my opinion a 338 RUM and especially the 338 Edge demand the respect of a quality barrel. Yes the barrel you refer to is a lot cheaper and I personally would rechamber to 338 X 375 Ruger just for the simplicity of everything fitting without having to go to single shot.

But I like simplicity and that may not be the best way for you.

Neal

yorketransport
01-05-2011, 01:29 AM
I am going to say yes to your question with one hitch. Why?

As gear grinder indicated already. In my opinion a 338 RUM and especially the 338 Edge demand the respect of a quality barrel. Yes the barrel you refer to is a lot cheaper and I personally would rechamber to 338 X 375 Ruger just for the simplicity of everything fitting without having to go to single shot.

But I like simplicity and that may not be the best way for you.

Neal

I'd listen to Neal. I hear rummors that he knows his stuff when it comes to barrels. ;)

I'll also throw another plug in for the 338/375 Ruger. I have one in a Striker, and I just finished rechambering a factory 338 Win Mag to 338/375 Ruger as well. It may not be as fast as the RUM or Edge, but they do feed through a standard long action magazine without any mods.

Andrew

dcompton
01-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Neal,
The short answer to your "Why" is twofold. 1. Cost, I don't have an unlimited toy budget like a lot of folks seem to have. Mind the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves. 2. Just wanted the satisfaction of machining something myself. It's easy to buy a $1500.00 smoker, bring it home and toss some ribs on it. It's a whole other thing to design, cut, and weld an exact copy for $500 and look at it while cooking those same ribs and say "I built that".

That being said, I'm emailing SinMan for a quote.

DC

358Hammer
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I can sure appreciate that analogy.
There is not a feeling on earth like when I build something another hasn't done or thought of. Send the prints to a die maker and wait for the reloading dies to arrive. Then load something up that hasn't been seen yet and take the new beast out and shoot a Brown bear, moose or ? I know that feeling well!

And to do it with a $45. Savage takeoff barrel is just icing on the cake!

Neal