PDA

View Full Version : Devcon Plastic Steel Mixing Ratios

MDHOGGER
01-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I am going to be bedding two to three stocks in the next few months. I have done about four stocks in the past and have use the AcraGlas Gel. It is very easy to mix as far as the one to one ratio rate. I have look at the instructions for the Devcon and it mentions everything except the rate of hardener to resin. Could some one tell me that rate/ratio and how you measure it out. I also don't see where you can add any die to this product, is this the case. I am thinking of using the Devcon as everyone says it is a great product. Also with the AcraGlas kit you can only bed two to three rifles for about $20 bucks. The Devcon 16oz container for $35 seems to be a better value if you will be bedding a number of rifles.

Dr. Vette
01-03-2011, 11:48 PM
I just did one last night, and I'm 98% sure it's on the side of the box.

9:1 by weight, or 2.5:1 by volume (gray to hardener).

MDHOGGER
01-04-2011, 12:04 AM
I should of clarified I was looking on the internet for the instructions as I have not as yet bought the product. Dr.Vette if you could be more specific are both parts a putty or the hardener a liquid. What do you measure out the proportions with a measuring spoon?

Cover Dog
01-04-2011, 08:25 AM
I have always measured it by weight. I use the plastic lid off a 1# coffie can, and weigh it on my digital reloading scale. Then mix it right on the plastic lid.

Dr. Vette
01-04-2011, 11:47 PM
I should of clarified I was looking on the internet for the instructions as I have not as yet bought the product. Dr.Vette if you could be more specific are both parts a putty or the hardener a liquid. What do you measure out the proportions with a measuring spoon?

Both are a putty, though the hardner is like very soft butter.

I used plastic spoons like you get for a picnic. Easy to level out 2 1/2 of the putty (it's stiff enough that I measured half the long way since it's symmetrical) and 1 spoonful of the hardener, then use a plastic knife to mix.
Zero problems with the ratio this way and I can throw away the tools when I'm done.

If I had a reloading scale I'd probably weight it as then I wouldn't be stuck with a set volume. I need to find a smaller "spoon" to measure out a small bit for a repair; I'll probably see if I can find ice cream flavor testing spoons. ;D

Smokey262
01-05-2011, 12:43 AM
My scales don't go high enough to weigh this epoxy, and for whatever reason I did not have a couple disposable spoons around, so I just eyeballed the ratio. More than once too. Worked fine.

But I will use spoons next time. If I remember.

MDHOGGER
01-05-2011, 03:12 PM
I was trying to figure out how to measure out the correct ratios in my mind using kitchen measuring spoons. Like I said with the AcraGlass gel its a simple 1 to 1 ratio. I went and look at my kitchen measuring spoons and conveniently they go from 1 tablespoon to 1/2 tablespoon. So it would be a simple exercise to measure out 2 1/2 tablespoons to one tablespoon. If that wasn't quite enough for the job I could also add a little bit more using the teaspoon measures which are also in the set at 1 teaspoon measure and 1/2 teaspoon measure. I have used these measure spoons mixing the AcraGlass and they clean up fairly easily and seem unaffected by the compound.

Dr. Vette
01-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I was trying to figure out how to measure out the correct ratios in my mind using kitchen measuring spoons. Like I said with the AcraGlass gel its a simple 1 to 1 ratio. I went and look at my kitchen measuring spoons and conveniently they go from 1 tablespoon to 1/2 tablespoon. So it would be a simple exercise to measure out 2 1/2 tablespoons to one tablespoon. If that wasn't quite enough for the job I could also add a little bit more using the teaspoon measures which are also in the set at 1 teaspoon measure and 1/2 teaspoon measure. I have used these measure spoons mixing the AcraGlass and they clean up fairly easily and seem unaffected by the compound.

The Devcon will stick to your spoons and be a bear to remove - even just the putty portion, not necessarily the mixed epoxy.
That's why I used the cheap ones - you'll want to throw them away.

rhbrink
01-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I mixed up some Devcon last week and it is some good stuff. My metal measuring spoons checked out (by verifying with table salt to check volume) it takes 2 1/2 teaspoons to fill up the Tablespoon measure. Some I used 1 teaspoon to one Tablespoon and worked great. Use automotive brake cleaner to clean up and your better half will never know what you did with the kitchen tools.

MDHOGGER
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
rhbrink your finding with 2 1/2 tespoons equals 1 tablespoon is contrary to every kitchen/measuring charts I have seen, which is 3 tsp. equals 1 tbs. However if your results are satisfactory thats great for you.

Harriershot
01-07-2011, 12:20 AM
I have used Devcon about a two dozen different times, I have only guestimated the 2.5 to 1 ratio. I have had perfect curing every time.

Charlie

leather5to1
01-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I eyeball it too, used it for all my projects. I never had a problem but make sure you mix it very well. Its difficult because the grey part is very thick. The hardener will thin it out to peanut butter thickness.

WYcoyote
01-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm thinking a smaller spoon or a little bigger batch and use a 5 to 2 ratio.