PDA

View Full Version : Model 25 in .223

teebirdhyzer
01-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I am looking for a sporter weight .223 bolt action for coyotes and target shooting that will also double as a youth deer rifle and trainer for my kids as they grow up. I really am liking the idea and what I have read about the model 25 classic in .223. I can find a few reviews and articles online about them and they seem to offer very good accuracy out of the box, and most especially with handloads. I can't find alot of chatter on here about them other than a couple of threads, and just wanted to put this out there to see some opinions either way. I don't really plan on ever rebarreling it, so the barrel not being easily removed isn't a big deal

davidw
01-03-2011, 11:17 PM
The 25 is a good rifle in all ways. Accurate out of the box as are most savage products. I probably wouldn't let most use it for deer though. Not beginners anyway. With a 223 shot placement is critical. 30-30 Win...now theres a good cal for beginners on deer.JMHO.....

ellobo
01-05-2011, 12:42 AM
If you must have a bolt action a .243 for deer would be a better choice that a .30-30 which kick pretty good in a light lever action. If you load, then load a little lighter to begin the kids with. Good luck.

El Lobo.