PDA

View Full Version : New model 10. Questions and thoughts

sinister184
01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
I picked up my first Savage a few weeks ago, really enjoying it. I must admit up to this point ive been a very novice shooter, but im looking to get a little more knowledgeable about this sport. The gun i picked up looks like the basic model 10. It has the black synthetic stock, high polish black sporter barrel, accutrigger, and it came with a cheapo Stevens scope that i quickly replaced with a Burris i wasnt using. Id really like to change a few things right of the bat. First the stocks gotta go. Now i havent taken the stock off, but im going to assume i have the blind magazine that stays in the stock. I also measured the action screws and it is 4.4. Now ive been looking for a while at stocks and i cant find any aftermarket stocks that are specifically designed for that style. Any help or suggestions on a stock that a novice could put on with little to no modification? If it needs much more than that im afraid i would need to take it to a gunsmith for proper fitment. The second thing id like to change is small but if like to put a more aggressive bolt handle. This seemed easy enough, but i was reading on SavageGunSmithing.com and noticed he mentioned adjusting firing pin protrusion when replacing the bolt handle. This threw me off a little, is this necessary and or hard to do? Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Armed in Utah
01-02-2011, 11:48 PM
The bolt handle is a quick/easy improvement....send $12 to Jim Baker and then you'll be able to monitor the ads for a large knob handle.....along with a possible take off stock with the 4.41" spacing....the Stevens should have the center feed magazine in it.....what caliber ya got ?

sinister184
01-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the reply, ill look into that. Its a .308

psharon97
01-03-2011, 12:28 AM
The bolt handle you can get from SharpShooterSupply. Fred and Lisa really know their stuff when it comes to Savage stuff. What do you plan on doing with your stock?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=289219
This is a drop in stock that should fit your rifle.
The choate UV stock is also a great stock, but I would recomend it for benchwork and the like. It wheighs in at 4 pounds; not great for carrying around.
http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_Ultimate_Varmint_Stock_for_Savage_Model_10_ Short_Action_Centerfeed_Only.cfm

82boy
01-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the site.

To start, if your rifle has a sporter barrel and a plastic stock is is more than likely a model 11f. The model 10's are a tricky buck of rifles, the sporter barreled models all have wood stocks, the varmint barrel guns are tactical models. Not to throw you off but they are basically the same gun.

The stocks are a very simple swap, with only a few small simple fitment issues at worse. You may have to clearance out around the trigger or trigger guard, and that is usually the worse of it. As long as you get a stock for the 4.4 screw spacing (Center feed) you should be fine.

The bolt handle is a simple replacement, the hardest part is breaking the rear screw loose for the first time. What I found that works best (And many others so this as well.) lay it on a carped floor, with your wrench in the back and stand on it. Should pop loose and then you can change it out. Don't worry about anything fling out when you take it apart because there is nothing under pressure. Don't worry about firing pin pertusion, it takes a few tools and know how to change it, and for the most part they are set correctly at the factory, there is no need to change it. The only problem you may face with changing the bolt handle is getting it 180 degrees out. The bolt will still go into the gun but it will not cock. The easiest way to avoid this is leave you old handle on until you ready to change it and take the one off and put the other on in the same way it was put on. It will only go on one of two ways.

I highly recamend Sharp shooters Supply as far as aftermarket parts go. They make GREAT stocks, bolt handles, and triggers.

sinister184
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the detailed info about the bolt handle 82 that helps, doesnt sound bad to put either on. From looking at the Savage site it does look like the 11, but its clearly stamped 10 on the barrel. pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/cwaters1184/photo-1.jpg

82boy
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Well Savage is know to make uncatalogued stuff, and special models. What you may have is one of them.

sinister184
01-03-2011, 11:15 PM
gotcha. I was looking over at Sharp Shooter Supply. I really like their stuff. The Sporter stock would look great but its a little pricey for an unfinished stock. I also really like their style of bolt flute, i may consider doing that as well since this is just a bench gun. I will at the very least get a tactical bolt knob from them though.