PDA

View Full Version : EGW bases

efm77
01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I have an EGW base on my 450 Marlin and have been satisfied with it. It's a pretty heavy kicker but not as much as the 338 I'm getting ready to build. Does anyone have any experience with them on a fairly heavy kicker? My next build is going to be a 338 win mag and I'm wondering if I need to play it safe and get a steel base. Thanks.

geargrinder
01-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I use them on my big 338 Edge and sporter weight 338RUM. I've had no problems on either one.

efm77
01-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Great. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for the info.

efm77
01-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Geargrinder, do you have the ones with the cutout down the middle where there are only basically two posts on each side of the slot (if that makes sense). Or do you have the HD model with solid slots across?

geargrinder
01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I have the regular ones, not the HD.

efm77
01-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Cool, thanks man.

wsmitty01
01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
No problems on a 300 Win Mag,,,with the normal with cut-outs.

Don - LongRangeSupply
01-06-2011, 12:10 AM
The only rings that have given me problems on aluminum bases with really heavy kicking rounds like the 338 Lapua in a light weight gun, 50 BMG or the monster handgun rounds, are the Burris Signatures.

The screw is too small in diameter and it allows the ring to slip forward with the screw peening the sharp corner of the base. This has happened more than once even with full cut slots. on a 50 BMG it chewed the corners up really badly after about 40 rounds.

No problems with steel bases other than the scope slipping in the inserts on my 338 Lapua and 50 BMG rifles. That was cured by dusting the inserts on both sides with powdered rosin.

I would recommend getting an EGW HD base in Steel for your 338.

efm77
01-06-2011, 06:11 AM
I usually use the Signature rings. But when I put them on the base I already slide them forward to where the screw is already up against the front of the slot so it can't slide forward under recoil. I wonder if it would still chew up the base then? So far it hasn't done that on my 450 and it's recoil is pretty stout.

mopar440
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
my std egw base and burris xtr rings work great so far on my 16lbs edge

efm77
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I guess if they hold up good on 338 edges they should hold up on just about anything. Since I'm building a 338 win mag I would think it would be fine since it doesn't have as much recoil as a RUM or Edge.

Hooz
02-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I usually use the Signature rings. But when I put them on the base I already slide them forward to where the screw is already up against the front of the slot so it can't slide forward under recoil. I wonder if it would still chew up the base then? So far it hasn't done that on my 450 and it's recoil is pretty stout.
You should always mount the rings as far forward in the slot as you can so they DON'T shift under recoil.

FWIW, I have a couple of the EGW "HD Low" bases and they are VERY nice. Well worth the added cost, at least for me.

efm77
02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
That's what I said, that I make sure the cross bolt is up against the front of the slot so it doesn't shift under recoil. I like the HD low mount too but I don't think it would help my situation much. I've got a large shank straight taper barrel with no step down in front of the threads. It tapers straight from the threaded shank. I'm using high rings with a 50mm adjustible objective and when using the offset inserts to get more elevation the objective bell touches the barrel. So I'm going to switch to the EGW base because it's thicker/taller than the Burris two piece bases I have on there now and should give me a little more clearance. I'm not sure the HD low base is much thicker than the bases I have on there now.