PDA

View Full Version : SSS Single Shot Loading Ramp for Center Feed

MDHOGGER
01-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I am converting a M11 243 centerfeed DBM over to a small bolt head for a 17-222. I have bought a Stockys Bobby Hart LRT with a blind magazine for the project. My question is I plan to use this rifle for prairie dogs in a single shot configuration. In reading the SSS description of this single shot loading ramp it appears it doesn't need the magazine box and follower in place to hold the ramp. Is this a correct assumption? Alternately I assume if I wanted to use the blind magazine would I have to replace the current .243 DBM with a magazine box and spring follower sized for a .223 sizes case.

snowgetter1
01-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I just purchased the SSS follower for a 300wsm md 11 that will be a 243wssm. I could not get it to freely lock into place so I just cut a chunk of wood to fit into the blind mag well with some foam under it. This works perfectly. The follower does fit very good into the bottom of receiver.

82boy
01-01-2011, 11:59 PM
In reading the SSS description of this single shot loading ramp it appears it doesn't need the magazine box and follower in place to hold the ramp. Is this a correct assumption? Alternately I assume if I wanted to use the blind magazine would I have to replace the current .243 DBM with a magazine box and spring follower sized for a .223 sizes case.

Yes and no.
The single shot adapter is for centerfeed actions which more than likely your DBM is a centerfeed action. What it does is fill the hole in the bottom of the action and replaces the magazine box set up, so you don't use a magazine at all. Now with the DBM SSS makes a product that allows a person to change their DBM to a single shot and back and forth. It is called the "Fred Sled" what it does is clip into the magazine well, giving you a single shot, if you want to go back all you have to do is unlatch it and replace it with you magazine.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,27097.0.html

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,30071.0.html

MDHOGGER
01-02-2011, 12:34 AM
82boy since I am going over to the Stockys laminate stock which is a blind magazine I would not be able to use the DBM. This is a centerfeed action and wanted to just use the single shot ramp by itself if possible. In other words I did not know if the magazine box/ follower assembly provided needed support or up pressure to hold the ramp in place. My other question was since this is the centerfeed .243 magazine can the mag lips be flexed in to feed the 17/222 case (.222 Remington) or is there magazine for the specifically for the .223 class case. Thanks for your response.

82boy
01-02-2011, 12:54 AM
The single shot adapter should be held in place by the stock, without the magazine. (I don't know how stocky cuts their mag wells.) You can always use a bit of epoxy or tape to hold the adapter in. You could also send the stock off to SSS and have them cut the DBM into it.

The 243 magazine box is completely different from a 223 family box, (it is longer for one.) I guess you could play with it and bend the lips, but I can not say I have ever had good luck by doing such.

snowgetter1
01-03-2011, 01:18 AM
I have a Stocky's stock and had to put the wood under the single shot adapter. It was no problem and functions perfectly.

FW Conch
01-03-2011, 11:44 AM
:) My SSS single shot adapter on center feed has always stayed in mearly with friction fit. Maybe I've just been lucky ? - Jim

jpdown
01-03-2011, 06:54 PM
The SSS single shot ramp for center feed rifles usually stays in with just a friction fit. One or two layers of tape on the rear edge of the ramp should work if you find it is loose. Or, a touch of epoxy at the rear of the SSS ramp will also work.

The SSS single shot ramp will also work in a stagger feed action, but you need a Dremel tool and file to carefully shorten it in the rear and remove some material from the sides to get a good friction fit. I prefer the SSS single shot ramps over the Hi-Score ramps for several reasons (1) They have more of a custom look and fit, (2) You don't need the magazine box and spring and, (3) They feed flawlessly.

I currently have one in a Savage SA staggerfeed with a 6mm BR barrel and a Savage LA centerfeed with a .204 Ruger barrel.

MDHOGGER
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
jpdown, Thanks for the informative and concise explanation. I was also wondering about the ability to use in the ramp in the staggerfeed magazine and you answered that too.