PDA

View Full Version : Moving the front action screw

MDHOGGER
01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I just ordered a couple of thumbhole laminate stocks from Stockys on clearance. I have an unusual situation with my shooting style in that I am right handed but shoot lefty. I also have grown accustomed to shooting right bolt rifles and like having the loading port on the right to feed rounds. That is why I like ambidextrous stocks without cheek pieces. I was please to find these thumbhole stocks configured in left hand and right bolt LHRB.http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-365/Classic-Sporter-Thumbhole-LEFT/Detail They were at a great price for a unfinished VIP stock at $56.29 each. The barrel channel is for sporter barrels so I think I will do one of the smaller 17's or 20's in these stocks. Now on to my questions. Are the Savage actions in staggered feed that NSS sell with the old 4.25" action screw spacing. ( I have sent him a email) Two if I have to move the front action screw forward with what do you fill or plug the old hole with to look good. Thanks again for any advice.

Blue Avenger
01-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Now on to my questions.
Are the Savage actions in staggered feed that NSS sell with the old 4.25" action screw spacing. ( I have sent him a email)

Two if I have to move the front action screw forward with what do you fill or plug the old hole with to look good. Thanks again for any advice.
Fill with the same material the stock is made from to blend it in.

[Are the Savage actions in staggered feed that NSS sell with the old 4.25" action screw spacing.]

not clear to me what your asking.

jpdown
01-01-2011, 09:49 PM
If you have a stagger feed action, then the hole spacing is 4.27" and the stagger feed Stocky stock should fit without modification. If it is a short action center feed action, then the hole spacing is 4.40" and you will need to modify the stock. I would cut a wood plug from the barrel channel to get the best match on a laminated stock if you need to modify the hole spacing.

MDHOGGER
01-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks jpdown I was hoping the staggered feed actions had the 4.27" action screw spacing. I will confirm the actions NSS are selling are of the proper spacing but sounds promising. I was also thinking if I needed a plug of taking it from underneath the recoil pad.

Blue Avenger
01-01-2011, 11:52 PM
under the recoil pad the grain will be running the wrong way. maybe inside the barrel channel you can get a shallow one.

David Clark
01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I just did a left hand stock just like yours for a 243. you are only talking about moving it forward 1/8 in. .125.
What I did was to make a pillar .400 ID and ran a 13/32 end mill through the stock 1/8 forward. of the original hole and turned the head 1/4 OD larger and the same thickness as the alum. plug that comes in the hole. I then just enlarged the hole for the new pillar. Works and looks great. Will put Accra glass around the pillar when I glass the action.
Dave :D