PDA

View Full Version : CCI 41 Primers / Light primer strikes

robpiat
12-31-2010, 11:40 PM
I have a Model 10 with a 300 fireball barrel. It won't set off the ammo I have loaded with CCI 41 primers. The primer strikes look adequate. When I load them with standard primers I do fine.

Do savages or other bolt guns normally have trouble with 41's?

Is there something I can do, apart from cleaning the FP channel etc, to increase the FP intensity? I.e is there a spring that could be worn?

possum1
01-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I shoot the 41's in my Stevens all the time. I tried to search a post for you but can't find it. There is a post somewhere on how to adjust the protrusion on the pin I just can't find it. I'm sure someone will jump in here and help out.

possum1
01-01-2011, 12:24 AM
This may help. http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Savage Firing Pin Spring Replacement OOPs, just noticed your not a paid member, can't access the articles. Well worth the membership fee though ;)

robpiat
01-01-2011, 12:56 AM
http://www.switchbarrel.com/Spring.htm

I found that. Is that similar info? Do you guys think its the spring?

GaCop
01-01-2011, 08:17 AM
The harder military cup needs a harder pin strike so you'll have to readjust you FP protrusion out more. Your spring should be fine.

hailstone
01-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Had similar problem recently with another rifle and Wolf ammunition. Would fire some lots but not others plus most USA ammunition would fire. Finally figured out the firing pin need few thousands more protrusion. After that modification theres been no further failures too fire.

robpiat
01-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Got the bolt apart but nervous about removing the spring. I figure it would end up scattered across the shop.

I figured out a way to adjust the pin without removing the spring. The next notch on the locknut put it at about .65-.68. I don't think there is an in between adjustment as there are a finite amount of stops on the lock washer

macon
01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
i have always used cci primers, but all of my savages prefer fed. primers for some reason