PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 223 stagger feeding problems

snowgetter1
12-31-2010, 06:18 PM
My stevens 223 stagger feed has never been 100% reliable but it has stopped feeding everything but the 1st round. I have to push down on the front and forward a bit at the same time to get it to feed. Took the magazine spring out and tried to bend it to raise the back. Did not work. Reversed the spring. Did not work. Bought a brand new mag spring and follower. Did not work. ????????????????

wbm
12-31-2010, 06:25 PM
So round 2 does not rise in the magazine far enough for the bolt head to catch and feed it?

snowgetter1
12-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Correct. The rear of rounds 2-5 will not be picked up by the bolt. It seems I can not get the rounds to sit level or higher on the back end. I am just at a loss on how or why this is happening.

Wtex
01-01-2011, 07:38 AM
If you have tried all that then it doesn't sound like the spring is the problem. Without seeing it I am just guessing, but perhaps the follower is getting stuck before it is all the way up? Since you have the original and a spare follower, perhaps you may want to take a little off the sides of one to see if helps it rise higher. The whole process should only involve the spring, the follower, and the bolt. Try to elminate these one at a time and hopefully you can isolate the problem.

hailstone
01-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Snowgetter1 was this a new or used rifle purchase? I'm betting it was used and the previous owner had problems also thus the trade. If so I would suspect its already been tweeked and not for the better. Had a few of those myself and basically you have too tweek the spring, sometimes the feed lips and the follower. Look everything over real carefully looking for tool marks and indicators that something has been bent. Indicators might be a crease in the metal near a tool mark or some place it shouldn't be normally. Low magnification helps sometimes as does strong direct lighting while function testing. Be suprised what shows up sometimes.

snowgetter1
01-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I have actually owned the rifle brand new for about 5-6 years. I has never been 100% but I could always count on the 1st three rounds for sure and maybe some failure to feed on rounds 4-5 about 50% of the time. I actually just replaced the barrel and had take off the magazine this is when the big problems I have now started. I will give it another go over and check the follower and mag for damage better.

Blue Avenger
01-01-2011, 07:32 PM
its not the spring, it is the mag lips. they guide the rounds as they slide forward.

kelbro
01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
its not the spring, it is the mag lips. they guide the rounds as they slide forward.

Agreed. Most likely cause. Follower and/or magwell may also need some polishing.

handirifle
01-02-2011, 12:35 AM

I'm not so sure of that. It "sounds" like the rounds are not coming to the top of the mag well, and the feed lips would not come into play yet.

You mention that the problem started when you replaced the barrel and re-installed the mag well. I have an '06 I got real cheap cause a guy couldn't get his to feed either. SOMEONE had removed the mag well, and failed to get BOTH ends of the mag well lips back into the notches in the receiver. They're a pain to get back in (read, hammered in) but that sounds like the issue. Once I fixed that mine fed perfectly. Heck I even feed my 338 Win Mag cases from the same follower/mag well combo.

If not....., then I would remove the stock, the follower and spring. CAREFULLY run your fingers up the mag well and check for sharp points sticking out that might stop the followers travel. If you find one you might be able to run a file up there and smooth it down. You may have to file a bit off the follower as well. Good luck, let us know.

kslefty
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Are you sure the obvious has not happened. I have put my plastic followers in backwards, (which they will fit) only to have them bind up at one end or the other. Make sure the little cutouts on the follower match up to the mag well.

snowgetter1
01-03-2011, 01:15 AM
I did have some issues getting the mag back onto the action. I did not think it would be that difficult to get back in but in only had to bend one of the lips that goes into the action a bit. I will check it out. Thanks for the info and the help.

handirifle
01-03-2011, 01:31 AM
I did have some issues getting the mag back onto the action. I did not think it would be that difficult to get back in but in only had to bend one of the lips that goes into the action a bit. I will check it out. Thanks for the info and the help.

I'd bet money the lip is your problem. NEVER bend them. The mag well WILL flex. Place one end into it's slot, then use a hard rubber hammer on the other end (with rifle braced) and at the same time applying pressure on the mag well to the receiver. It should snap in, with a whack or two.

snowgetter1
01-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the help. I fixed it by hitting a 1x4 with a hammer on the bottom of the mag. Moved it up to high at first but just a tap from the topside got it in position. Feeds all 5 rounds 100%. This is the best it has ever been. Again thanks and what a great website.

handirifle
01-08-2011, 11:38 PM
There's a lot to be said about backyard engineering. Glad you get it running.