PDA

View Full Version : 3-screw trigger - how low can it go?

BoilerUP
12-31-2010, 06:01 PM
After being pointed toward the FAQ for an unrelated topic, I came across the post about how to adjust the factory 3-screw trigger...which my 110E build donor is equipped with.

After adjusting the return spring, sear & safety screws per the FAQ the trigger is DEFINITELY lighter than it was before...but I don't have a gage to see exactly how low it is now set to.

For someone who does have a gage, how low a weight have you been able to safely adjust your 3-screw triggers to? I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket Timney, SSS or Basix trigger in the 2lb range but after adjusting I very well may wait until finishing the build and firing it at least once before buying one.

learjet
12-31-2010, 06:24 PM
i was only able to get one of mine down to just under 4lb, the other went down to 3 and a bit. i changed both of them out w timneys, which i have set at 3lb for field use. all 4 of my savages and my wifes(NOT MINE!) r700 all have timney triggers now, and ive been happy w them. mebbe SSS's r better, and can certainly go much lighter, but for a field trigger i really like the timneys

GL!

Netz
12-31-2010, 06:44 PM
I got mine down very low, I used the spring wire given away by 243shooter and that let me get it down very low.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,25681.0.html
It's were I like it and is safe, but use extreme caution and test it allot,I slammed the bolt closed about 10 times to make sure it didn't slam fire.
Curt

Terry Balding
12-31-2010, 07:49 PM
The Target Action Trigger will go to 6-8oz without modification.

Terry

GUNFANATIC
12-31-2010, 08:35 PM
The Target Action Trigger will go to 6-8oz without modification.

Terry

Differnt trigger. OP is asking about the pre-accutrigger.

possum1
12-31-2010, 11:08 PM
I have the basic two screw Stevens trigger. It has been to a smith and pulls less than 1# consistantly.

acdame
12-31-2010, 11:58 PM
Just adjusted my Uncle Dick's today and he has asked to have the pull raised...felt it was a "hair trigger". Savage makes easily modifed trigger. It was down to just below 2 lbs. MAKE sure that you adjust the overtravel screw so that when you play with the trigger while the rifle is in safe mode it CANNOT move. If it does you will get a fire when the safety is slightly moved toward fire mode.

I used the .041 music wire myself. You can get a big roll from Grainger.

WYcoyote
01-01-2011, 03:43 AM
I adjusted mine down to 3lb (2000 dated) and I then changed the spring wire to .40" using an old bottom bouncer and got it to 2 1/2 lb which matches the pull on my other rifles which was what I was trying to get to.
That is as light as I want to go on a hunting gun. It passed every slam/ bump test I could give it.

bluealtered
01-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I just did my model 11 .243 with the .40 wire and since i don't have a gauge i just have to say it's as light as i want to go, maybe a little to light with gloves for hunting. Can't really test it now because of 2+ feet of new snow at the range from the last storm, plus it's -2 below at the moment so i think it will wait. blue