PDA

View Full Version : DNZ mounts

280win
12-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Any body use them on a savage? I have them on a tikka T3 was thinking of puting a set on my 116. How well do they work when loading from the top?

Captain Finlander
12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
They look like very solid mounts but are built on the assumption that the front and rear mounting points are aligned with the barrel. If your guns screws are off then you will loose adjustment making the correction in the scope but with a traditional base you have windage adjustment in the rear that centers your scope with the bore before paper zeroing.

I think they would make a great mount for any gun that did not require it to bridge a gap such as a pistol or lever action but I wouldn't choose it for a bolt rifle. I prefer more precision with my rifles

12-30-2010, 10:45 PM
The DNZs are excellent! I have quite a few of them, and have never had a problem with any of them. I have them on a muzzle loader, a marlin lever gun, and a few Savages. No windage screws to mess with and possibly come loose when you least expect. Also, you never have to worry about rings being out of alignment since they are one piece.They are a solid unit, maybe not if you are in combat, but for any thing the average person will come across they are very good.

johnnyrambo
01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I just put a set on a Stevens 200 in .270. The mount seems to be rock solid after 50 or so rounds. Alignment was spot on, with very little adjustment required to reach true zero. I think this is a testament to Savage as much as anybody (after-all, they drill the holes). The brand new Stevens .270 was also dropped (post zero) after a strap failure in the hunting field. A quick trip to the range confirmed that the scope's zero had not changed. Score one for the DNZ mount and installer!

I've also got Talley 2-piece integrated mounts on my other Savage. They, too, have been excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either mounting system.

richardsaltonstall
03-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I have used DNZ on a Remington Model 7, an older receiver. The one piece mount is really strong. Very nicely finished precisely drilled. They are a really nice one piece mount.

Talley light weights are as good as it gets. I have built 5 rifles with these. Nicely finished and precise. Great customer service.

Any mounts should be checked with a true bar and lapped if need be after you install them. Talleys and DNZ products not likely to require significant material removal to be true.

Richard Saltonstall

airaddict
05-20-2011, 08:10 PM
i have a set of DNZ mounts on my savage 308 w a leupold CDS and my 10/22. i love them. they are as solid as can be and you dont have to worry about shimming or lapping the rings since they are cnc'd.

i think they would do even better if you could order a set with a preset elevation machined into them to give you some extra adjustment.

airaddict
05-22-2011, 09:35 AM
i checked the DNZ website and they actually do have sets now with 10, 20,and 30 moa built into the mounts. they are on the pricey side at around $100 or so directly from the company but if your into long range shooting im sure thats not to terribly bad for the extra adjustment range.

tammons
05-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Great scope mounts. but I could not get the eye relief I wanted with a long action.

airaddict
05-22-2011, 11:59 AM
oh ok, thanks for the info. ill keep that in mind cuz i would like to start a build on a long action for a 260 or 6.5 creedmore or maybe 243AI. i might have to go with a one piece rail so i can use detachable rings for ease of switching barrels with out damaging the scope.

i never had problems with eye relief on my SA mounts or with my 10/22 mounts.
brian b

helotaxi
05-22-2011, 03:05 PM
They look like very solid mounts but are built on the assumption that the front and rear mounting points are aligned with the barrel. If your guns screws are off then you will loose adjustment making the correction in the scope but with a traditional base you have windage adjustment in the rear that centers your scope with the bore before paper zeroing.

I think they would make a great mount for any gun that did not require it to bridge a gap such as a pistol or lever action but I wouldn't choose it for a bolt rifle. I prefer more precision with my rifles

Using a windage adjustable base and ring setup that does not have some way to keep the bores of the rings aligned (the Burris Signature rings are the only ones I know of that do) is a perfect recipe for ruining a scope. Any mount SHOULD begin with the premise that the mounting holes are drilled in line with the bore within a tight set of tolerances. If they are not, the rifle is defective and needs to go back to the manufacturer. With modern manufacturing methods, getting holes drilled straight is a very simple matter. It's not the place of a scope mount to correct for a poorly machined rifle, especially when that "correction" can place a large amount of stress on the scope tube, potentially binding the mechanism or cracking internal lenses.

On the other hand, something like a DNZ mount that is machined from a single billet, has the rings machined perfectly in line with each other and should place no stress on the scope.