PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Crossfire handle STW recoil?

HRstretch
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I have a Vortex Crossfire 6X24X50 and put the first one on my STW. It started giving me trouble holding zero so Vortex sent me another one. I put my old millet back on the STW because of upcoming season and am leary that new one will do the same. Should I expect that the Crossfire should be able to withstand the recoil of this magnum.

Vortex customer service was great and I love the scope just don't know if it will hold up to the magnum recoil. Put it on a 30-06 for now as a back-up to my back-up to my back-up gun.

hitman49
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I had the same worries about a 270 wsm that I wanted to put a crossfire on. I ended up getting it and am glad that I did. I have about 250 rounds through the rifle since getting the scope and it is going strong. Adjustments are still accurate and POA has not changed. I also have one a 338-06 that has about 500 rounds under it and is still doing its job. I have never shot an STW so I do not know how the recoil compares to what I have. If the worst happens though just put it back on the 30-06 after Vortex sends you a replacement.

HRstretch
10-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I guess that would work, but I think I will wait until after deer season. I will try it again on the STW when I start back on the pigs in February. It kicks pretty good as it has the savage plastic stock and is pretty light. It looks like it should handle the recoil, my Millet seems to be able to handle it?

hitman49
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
My 270 wsm is also just a stock model 16 with the plastic stock as well. It is a light weight hunting rifle so it has a pretty stiff recoil as well.

asucar67
01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Hello everyone i currently have a vortex crossfire 6-24*50, the scope is mounted on a 17HMR at this moment. before was on my savage 223 no problems, tracking well and good i will mount on my savage 30-06 next month to due a review at this moment is doing great. the target turrets track and return to 0 fast and correct. comes with sunshade and good eyepiece. i will post a review after i put 250 round of 30-06 at different s lengths and repeatable change point of impact.
thank you for reading

kleven626
06-20-2010, 11:56 AM
just got mine last fri. and after 20 rounds the reticle started turning inside. In the process of returning it. I'll see how it goes and let you all know how it goes. I have it mounted on a Savage model 10 w/ warne rings and mounts.

HRstretch
06-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Kleven626, When I called Vortex and told them of my problem they only asked what my address was and said that they would ship me another one right away. They included a return shipping label, I took out the new one and put the old one in the box and it was that simple. No arguing just we will take care of it. I like no nonsense customer service, I have the one they sent me and another I bought and could not be any happier. I plan on moving to the Viper for the STW as it is/should handle the recoil.

kleven626
06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
they did call back after I left a message on Sun. The lady said to fill out the VIP return slip on the web site and ship it back to them. I guess I could call back and see if they will ship one out w/a return postage box. I might just be out postage in the long run

kleven626
07-16-2010, 11:13 PM
up date on the crossfire. they had to replace the scope. got my new crossfire and have been to the range a couple of time in the past few weeks. started to notice i was vertically stinging. got to looking and noticed the elevation turret was moving one click after each round fired. this is on a .308 so i have my doubts about it taking the recoil of like rifles. guess i will save up some money and get something else. :(

kleven626
07-18-2010, 07:55 PM
just got back from a f/tr shoot. scope only made it 18 rnds. than all hell let loose inside the vortex. sad to say i am giving up on the vortex brand. good luck to all than have them and continue to try them. fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. now i just wonder if i can get my money back? or will i be stuck with a 6.5-24x50 that can only be fire from a 22lr gopher gun?

anybody have any other ideas?

lal357
07-18-2010, 11:01 PM
so far it has been dead on on my 12lrvp in 223 i'm gonna have to see how this thread pans out becuase i was just gonna get one for my 308 model 12 and swap the 4200 elite to another gun.

pa hog
07-18-2010, 11:48 PM
I have a Viper on my .260 it function's flawless,and will handle recoil no problem. I have a SIII 6-24 and a 6.5-20x50 Viper and they are both great scopes.

Rick_W
07-18-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a Crossfire pistol scope enroute to mount on a S&W .460 Magnum.

Probably be about two weeks before I get a chance to get it sighted in, but I'll definitely report back the results.

Don - LongRangeSupply
07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Based on my experience with the Crossfire, it will probably eventually come apart on a really hard kicking gun, but you are still covered by the warranty. They are great scopes for the money but not built as well as the Vipers.

I decided to move up to the Viper for the heavy kickers so I didn't have to keep sending it back and reinstalling a new one.

lal357
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
well then i guess i'll just keep using this one on my 223 and go with another brand for the bigger cals kinda of a bummer becuase i really like the fine crosshairs and being on the seccond focal plain is a plus.

HRstretch
07-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I put the replacement scope on my 30-06 and love it, For my STW I will put the Vortex Viper or save a little longer for a new Vortex PST. Crossfires are a good scope for most anything but I don't even think they recommend them on the hard kickers? They would replace it every time but i would get tired of that and it would not be fair to Vortex,

McKinneyMike
07-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Friend of mine has gone thru two Crossfires on a 8mm rifle. Vortex took care of him when he voiced his displeasure with a Viper 6.5-20 at a very reasonable upgrade price.

psharon97
07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
I put a Crossfire on a my brother's 30-06 lightwheight savage hunting rifle he just bought a couple months ago. The recoil was pretty stiff but the scope stayed true. I'll let you know how the zero is when my brother comes home on leave again.

kleven626
08-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Vortex did make it right. I wish they would post on there web site that the Crossfire is for a small caliber rifle. I think this scope would be fine on a .223 or like cal. and lower. I have been reluctant on putting the Viper on my F/TR rifle at this time. A friend has let me barrow his Leupold VX-III to see if I would like it. 8) What is not to like. I wil see how much of a friend he is as I use it till I save up for a scope like that. You do get what you pay for is so true with optics. I had the pleasure to look through a NXS and :o. Someday, someday. Keep the post coming boys. They do watch these sites and if they are going to make it as a company they need reviews and constructive criticism. And if they build it they will come. Keep you powder dry.

McKinneyMike
08-05-2010, 05:08 AM
I am about to add another Vortex Viper to my stable of rifles. I prefer them to any other scopes in the under $1000.00 in their power range, especially when you factor in their outstanding CS, which I have never had to use thankfully :) If you want longer range scopes, the Sightron's are very nice, but also more expensive.