PDA

View Full Version : 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

Mikexm15
12-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Just put 25 rounds thru my new 111 LRH (300 Win Mag). First 3 rounds were touching but group opened up the more it was shot. Checked base and rings (DNZ DeadNutz) but nothing was loose. Found the barrel was touching on the front left of the stock, so stock was removed and the stock was filed to clear barrel. After teaing the gun down I found that this gun does not have the normal 3 screw set up as the other Accustocks. My gun has a standard recoil lug (No Wedge) with just a front and rear receiver screws. Bedding block was found to have plastic run off from the stock on the front half on both sides that had prevented metal to metal contact between the action and block. Trimmed plastic and retorqued action into stock. I have now noticed that the stock is peeling in the grip area. Haven't had a chance to shoot it to see if this has stopped the grouping problem. Question is has anyone else noticed or heard of a change in the accustock recoil lug. Bedding block is cut for the standard lug and doesnt have room for a wedge. Also stock is not drilled for the wedge screw.

KYHUNTER
12-30-2010, 02:36 AM
I spoke with savage about this. They are no longer putting the 3rd screw for the accustock. You have a newer model accustock

Mikexm15
12-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Just shot the 111 LRH again and must say the results are a lot better. Groups are staying nice and tight with green box Remington 180gr Corelockt. Any suggestions on where to start with reloads would like to stay with 180gr bullet.

Knappy
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm shocked you had that intial problem with your stock. Hhmmm...

Mikexm15
12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
I remember seeing another user on this forum comment on seeing a LRH that apeared to be touching on the left front. Dont remember the thread that it was on. I reset the action in the stock after removing plastic run off from the bedding block but still had the problem of it touching the barrel. Eve now the barrel has twice the clearance on the right side of the stock compaired to the left

ellobo
12-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Mike, try this. Loosen the mounting screws on the bottom of the reciever. pt matchbok cover card stock in the barrel channel on the left side of the stock and tighten the screws. remove the card stock and check to see if yu then have clearance. If not, time to sand out tht side of the stock for clearance.
El Lobo

irondog54
12-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Scrub that barrel. ;D

El Torote
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
mikezm15, I have the 116 FCS Weather Warrior in the same caliber. I had to peek at the accutrigger, so I removed my stock, and saw similar plastic "runoff" running along the aluminum bedding on both sides.

Since it was a Christmas present (to myself in my wife's name ;D), and it has been colder then heck, I have not shot it yet, so I do not know if affecting accuratacy or not.

How did you remove the plastic?
I was thinking of running an exacto or razor blade along the top of the aluminum rails on each side, but I guess I should ask someone who has done it first.

Anyone else experience this, is this common? Has anyone else removed the excess plastic?

Mine has a very deep throat, COAL measures 4.53 with Barnes 180gr TTSX, and 4.47 with 165gr Hornady SSTs. I have my initial ladder loads ready with RL-19 and IMR-4350 respectively for each bullet. I will post later how it goes.

El Torote
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
oops,

I meant COAL 3.53 and 3.47, sorry.

Mikexm15
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
El Torote, I just used a razor blade and trimmed along the edge of the bedding block, plastic peeled off with little effort. I'm pretty sure my problem was coming from the stock touching the barrel on the left front. After 5 shots grouping would start to move to the right. Not sure if the plastic was having any effect, but it was designed to seat the action in the aluminum block so I trimmed it.

As for my Accutrigger, while it was apart I checked and it was set as low as possible. I havent gauged it but compaired to my other rifles I would say around 2-3 lbs. It has a very crisp clean break with no creep so I am happy with it.

nomosendero
01-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Just shot the 111 LRH again and must say the results are a lot better. Groups are staying nice and tight with green box Remington 180gr Corelockt. Any suggestions on where to start with reloads would like to stay with 180gr bullet.

Mike, a load that has worked on countless 300WM's is the 180BT, WW cases, 75gr. of R22 & Fed 215 primers.
Max in some manuals is 79 gr. I have reached 3140fps with a stiff load of RL25, but this load is usually 3,000 & change. I used that load in my 300WM last season & it was just under .5" ave. & that's a dang Rem, Sendero thou! ;D

franken-daddy
02-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I have the same gun and my stock started peeling as soon as I got it. They must be having a problem with the over molding.I shooting 168 berger vlds when there touching the rifling there to big for mag box there streched out to 3.58 oal any one got any suggestions on mag box. Mag box is 3.454.