PDA

View Full Version : First Project (.338 Edge)

donaldleegraham
12-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post here. I bought my first Savage (10FP .308) two years ago and love it for both hunting, as well as target.

Now I'm wanting to build my own piece-by-piece, but this is my first time doing so. I know I want something a bit larger, with a bit further reach. Everything I've read, people tend to stay away from the .338 Lapua because the cost of reloading. I'm thinking of building a .338 Edge. I keep reading http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?topic=27704.0, "The 338 Edge definitely gives the most bang for your buck."

When I bought my 10FP .308, I bought a Choate Short Action Ultimate Varmint stock, and didn't realize it wouldn't work with my newer 10FP due to the bolt release being in the trigger guard. So I really would like to use this Choate stock as the base for this rifle.

I know I need a barrel and action. Any thoughts on a cost-effective, accurate solution?

What else do I need besides optics?

Thanks!
Lee

Tim300wsm
12-29-2010, 11:39 PM
if u use that stock u will need a short action u will have to single feed it and take the bolt out to extract a loaded round if i were you i would cut my losses with the stock and buy a new one and a long action(im planning to do an edge on a long action) sinman is a good guy to get an edge barrel from if you dont want an accutrigger just get a stevens and part it out thats the cheapest way to get an action

ellobo
12-30-2010, 12:31 AM
If you go to a long action look at the .338-06 or .35 Whelen.

El Lobo

donaldleegraham
12-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Tim300wsm - This is my first project, so I'm happy with a single shot and using the stock I have on hand. Eventually, I will build another that will be much nicer.

Thanks for the action advice. I'll give my local Savage dealer a call and see what they can do for me.

Tim300wsm
01-06-2011, 08:30 PM
you can get a good deal on an action from northland