PDA

View Full Version : 223 AI from a LA magazine box question

thburr
12-28-2010, 03:42 PM
I am brand new to Savage and just built a 223 AI for my wife. I used a long action and it shoots awesome but I failed to consider the magazine box. I have a staggered feed magnum (I think) blind magazine box and can't figure out how to get it to feed 223AI ammo, if it is even possible.

Has anyone figured out a work around for this?
Is there anyway to use a short action 223 magazine box with the long action?
Does anyone make a DBM for this application?
Thanks

GaCop
12-29-2010, 07:05 AM
No, it won't feed from a magnum mag box. My 223AI is built on a long action but I use a single shot follower for bench shooting. A 223 mag box won't fit a long action unless you have one of the older 110s that was made with a blocked mag box for the 223 cartridge (had one back in the mid 90s).
I'm not familiar with DBMs for the 223 in a long action so can't comment there, sorry.

Captain Finlander
12-29-2010, 11:58 PM
You have two problems. First is feeding issues associated with the long magazine and second the sharp shoulders will likely hang up rather than ease into the chamber.

My advice is to make it a single shot. I have been using single shots for years and prefer them for many reasons . Purchase a single shot follower then use a tiny bit of epoxy on a tooth pick to attach it to the bottom of the receiver. Then fill in the magazine well and re- bed the full length of the receiver. This will strengthen the whole stock too.

thburr
12-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I talked with Jeff at CDI Precision and he has a DBM syatem that will work for this application. The rifle will be sent out soon.