PDA

View Full Version : Varmint action / DBM - change to blind mag?

onesureshot
12-28-2010, 01:07 AM
I just got a varmint action that came set up as a DBM. I did not realize it was a DBM when I ordered it and planned to install the action into a Boyds classic stock with a blind magazine.

Can I just buy a blind mag and follower from Savage and use it in place of the DBM bottom metal and magazine?

I just finished a build using a Stevens centerfeed and looking at the DBM mag, it seems like it is the same box and follower as the Stevens, just with a SS floor plate clipped on to it. I am hoping it is that simple, as I really have no desire to have a DBM on this rifle.

snowgetter1
12-28-2010, 02:07 AM
If you look on the homepage under articles there is a complete article on this. The way it reads all the magazines on centerfeeds are the same. The Bottom of the DBM should come off then just mount the box in the stock.

hailstone
12-28-2010, 08:56 AM
As already noted the blind magazine assembly is the same. Squeeze in on the sides of the assembly near the bottom cap. There are two tabs on the cap - one on each side that hold the two pieces together. After releasing the side tabs rotate the assembly up to disengage the rear tab. If this is in 204 or 223 then it takes considerable effort to release the side tabs. This is due to the construction used on these assemblies compared too standard 473 and mag case head assemblies. I use a small C-clamp to squeeze the sides in for release. Don't have the strength in my hands anymore. You will need a new front action screw due to differances in length.

onesureshot
12-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Now I am wondering if I shouldn't just find a gunsmith to inlet the stock for the DBM and use it. Since the stock is a Boyds Classic with the shorter action bolt spacing, it will need to be modified to fit the centerfeed action. By using the DBM system, the bottom metal would cover the space left in the stock from moving the front screw forward. Plus having the removable mag would make it easier to load, as loading my recently finished Stevens centerfeed blind mag under a scope is a Pain In The Arse, at least in .223 Rem.