PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me about an older savage 116?

coldchow
12-27-2010, 03:27 PM
i'm looking at a used one. it is stainless with a synthetic stock. non-accutrigger and non-accustock, so it is an older version. it shoots a short action (308) cartridge, but i understand it is a long action receiver with some sort of stop or block which allows it to shoot the 308 round.

would this rifle be more correctly described as an fnss, or fcss, or some other designation? or is it just a model 116, before they added all the letters to the model number?

i'd appreciate any info you might have on this rifle.

thanks,
bob

Armed in Utah
12-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Long action 308 with magazine stop to fit the SA 308 case...

Just an older 116

ellobo
12-27-2010, 09:22 PM
If it does not have a scope mount rail on it make sure that it is a flat rear receiver. If it is you will need the proper scope mount. If there is one on it make sure it is the proper one and not one for a round rear receiver. I think those "J" action rifles had cut rifled barrels before they went to button broaching, so coppering up should not be a problem, but check on that older rifle to make sure it isnt coppered up. If you leave it as a .308 it should shoot fine. I had one and it was Savage Accurate.

coldchow
12-28-2010, 12:18 AM
the rifle does have some bases mounted (i believe they are weaver or the like), but not sure at this point. i found it on another board and have only seen a couple pics.

my primary question is:

did savage go on to make a short action receiver for short action cartridges, or are the newer short action chamberings in a short action receiver?

thanks

Armed in Utah
12-28-2010, 12:58 AM
the new 10/12/14/16 series are SA's for SA rounds