PDA

View Full Version : savage 111 problems

bcgentry
12-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey guys I have a savage 111 30-06. I've had a few problems with it. It has the accu trigger and a regular stock. which was the first problem. when shooting off of a bi pod at the range It would twist the stock a little causing the stock to touch the barrel, when this happened it would throw the group high and right about 2 in from original zero. So I bedded the front of the action and filled the forearm of the stock with bedding. This helped a lot consistency, but still the groups would come in really weird patterns.

With both hand loads and Rem 180 core-lok I would shoot 2 shots in the EXACT same hole, then pull another off 1"-2". Sometimes it would be the 1st and 2nd shot others 1st and 3rd and about all combinations...

Gun has about 70 rounds fired through it Leupold scope and premium mounts and bases. Its not my shooting pulling it off that much for sure...

Just wondering if anyone had any advice about what I could try next... My thought were to shoot more maybe to break barrel in??? Maybe something wrong in the barrel??? or am I just expecting too much. just bothers me to put 2 in one hole and the pull another one off as much as 2 inches... thanks

thirty06
12-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Try it without the bipod. Bet the stock is still flexing.
Move the bags close to the recoil lug.

ellobo
12-27-2010, 03:46 AM
For $69 get a Boyds laminate stock in the new Dakota style. Should be a drop in and sand and oil finish proposition if you have a stagger feed. For an extra $50 they will checker the stock. Just make sure the barrel is free floated and you should see an improvoement. My next project will be a Boyds RIA style on a commercial FN mauser actioned custom.
El Lobo

Captain Finlander
12-27-2010, 06:54 AM
+1

Your waisting your time and money trying to make the plastic work. Drop the coin on a quality synthetic or go with wood laminate. The laminate has become the most cost effective replacement and if you want the synthetic look just paint it with the textured paint.

I have wood stocked rifles and have been hunting them for over 2 decades in the summer, fall and winter with no negative effects. Assuming the wood is unsealed and warps, as long as it doesn't touch the barrel in any way it won't negatively effect the accuracy.

bcgentry
12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Alright thanks guys several people have all said the stock was the problem... Ill work on that. The gun shoots the same off bi pod and sand bags since I worked on the stock... but might just try a new stock all together.

LG
12-27-2010, 12:48 PM
The forend flex is the most obvious, but those plastic stocks flex everywhere under recoil.

Additionally, just to make sure, I'd double check if the scope mounts and action screws are tight and secure. Sometimes weird groups are caused by something loose somewhere.

kslefty
12-27-2010, 09:06 PM
I have a .243 with the cheap stock and it shoots better than all my so called better stocked guns. I agree that the plastic stock is not ideal but consistency in the loads and the shooter is 10 times more likely to make the most improvemenet for you.