PDA

View Full Version : savage factory headspace

huntnm2001
12-26-2010, 08:44 PM
I almost have all the parts together for my 300 rum build, just waiting on the barrel. Today just for grins I put my clymer go gauge un the chamber on the factory set up. It wouldn't even come close to closing. Has anyone had a savage set below minimum headspace? I'm inclined to believe its probably not the gauge. Maybe my extractor wasn't grabbing the gauge?

dcloco
12-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Remove the extractor and ejector components from your bolt head and try the headspace gauge again.

Was this on the GO or the NO GO gauge?

huntnm2001
12-26-2010, 09:49 PM
On the go gauge. How do you remove the extractor and ejector? This is a crf.

bigedp51
12-26-2010, 11:57 PM
huntnm2001

Removing the extractor and ejector will give you more "feel" on bolt closing but your headspace gauge should fit during normal chambering if your headspace is adjusted within SAAMI specifications. I use my GO gauge on my .243 and .308 without dissembling the bolt. If I was setting the headspace I would strip the bolt to get the most accurate reading possible. BUT as long as your headspace is "greater" or "longer" than your gauge the bolt should close.

hailstone
12-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Headspace gauges can be marked wrong. Recently returned a set to Brownells for the WSM calibers. Both Go & NoGo gauges were the same and I didn't have a clue which one was correct.