PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New Savage Mark II

Samdweezel05
12-26-2010, 09:58 AM
I bought a plain jane MKII with a wood stock, sporter barrel and open sights. It was intended as a first firearm for a 9 year old for Christmas and I'm not very happy so far. In the first 100 rounds with 3 different kinds of ammo it has extraction and ejection issues, had FTF's with all 3 brands and doesn't want to feed any of them from the clip with out screwing around. I have had good luck with ALL of my other savage/stevens weapons. I have stayed away from the savage .22's in the past because this is kind of what I expected but I have never read about these kinds of issues on this forum or any other forum for that matter. It is brand new, not used and was cleaned before use. Maby I should have stuck with the 10/22's

King Ghidora
12-26-2010, 03:32 PM
My MkII had extraction issues at first. Once you get the oil worked out of the chamber and action those problems should go away. You may still have a feed issue once in a while because there is no real feed ramp in the MkII's which is their major failing IMO.

Still I have no problems with mine now except that certain ammo just doesn't seem to feed well. It's like the mags don't hold that ammo correctly and it doesn't line up with the chamber.

The one thing you can't ignore though is that a Savage MkII (especially with the heavy barrels) will shoot groups that are phenomenal. I've shot measured 5 shot groups at 50 yards that were .111". I actually shot a better 4 shot group but I ran out of ammo before I could shoot the 5th shot so I didn't even measure the group. I'm sure that hole would have measured way below .1". It looked like one bullet hole. Sometimes these rifles just shoot incredibly accurate.

I wouldn't get a 10/20 though for any reason. A Marlin will exceed it in ever aspect. It's really not even close. I've shot many of each and I've never seen a Ruger shoot better than a Marlin.

One thing you might consider is a single shot adapter for your Savage. There is a guy on the Rimfire Central board that makes and sells them for like $30. I know it makes your gun a single shot but it likely won't have any feed issues. But I would just run a few bricks through your gun to work out the bugs and then see what it does. Lots of rifles need a break in period.

jawjadawg
12-30-2010, 07:13 PM
I think the factory 10/22 is garbage.

30cal.lover
01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I have a mark ii tr and was wondering dose any one know if I can get a trigger that goes under a 1# and were I can get it?

It has the accutrigger

K31Scout
01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Do a search over at rimfirecentral. There are a bunch of people over there getting their accutriggers down to #1 by stoning some metal parts and clipping springs.

aawilson
01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I've been lucky so far, mine feeds the one ammo brand i tried, but i did notice that the rear sight is cock-eyed, noticeably to the left! I took a pair of pliers and re-aligned it with some success; still not perfect, but i was thinking of a scope for this gun anyhow.

Well, in reality, one round of the Remington Thunderbolt i have did hang up a bit on the chamber and strip a small area of lead from the bullet. I think maybe i wasn't consistent when i cycled the bolt that time.

Samdweezel05
01-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I think the factory 10/22 is garbage.

Your absolutely right. 47 years and millions sold is a testament to how many people agree with you. Not to mention the lack aftermarket support for such an inferior piece of equiptment. ::)

Just an up date on this thing. Several hundred rounds down range and I am still having to single load instead of being to use the magazine. Also still having to pull spent cases from the chamber with my finger nail. Rifle was cleaned when new and has been cleaded about 10 times since. I am also still getting FTF's with several kinds of ammo. They all have a good strike on the rim but don't go bang. They will fire from my garbage 10/22. I do have to say that the savage will shoot. So far, 6 shots, 6 grey squirrels. All at about 30 yards off hand with open sights. I havn't done much for group size, just trigger time to try and get it to function correctly.

shaman
01-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Your absolutely right. 47 years and millions sold is a testament to how many people agree with you. Not to mention the lack aftermarket support for such an inferior piece of equiptment

And everyone who buys one understands that the barrel, trigger parts, and everything but the reciever needs to be replaced to get it to shoot straight. Kinda like a Rem. 700

Dead Lizzard
01-17-2011, 04:47 AM
May I ask what brands of ammunition are failing to extract or fire? I had an extraction/ejection problem on a Rem. 870 12 gauge. It was with a box of Federal pro-mo shells, that didn't have a very well defined rim. If you have a good strike on the rim, I would tend to think it's a problem with the shells. I know that .22 shells are pretty moisture sensitive. They shouldn't be stored in garages, basements, trucks, etc.

Samdweezel05
01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
So far it has been Winchester Super X, Wolf Match and some CCI something or other. All ammo is stored in the house year round. I can remove the round that failed to fire, and it will fire in my 10/22.

My bone stock 10/22 with a cheap Simmons 6-18x50 out of the box. Did nothing but tighten up the action screws.

Upper 3 shots were winchester super x
3 shots under that were the same ammo but 4 clicks down on the scope
next 4 were federals with 6 clicks left on the scope
Done at 50 yds.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/samdweezel05/Guns/DSCF0642.jpg

Bad Water Bill
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Weezel Didn't anyone ever tell you never transport Savages in RED cars. Its like waving a red flag at a bull. They get even with you. ;D

tammons
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Yep, clip the spring.
I also took the blade out of mine.
You can get it under 1# but probably not recommended.

I have a mark ii tr and was wondering dose any one know if I can get a trigger that goes under a 1# and were I can get it?

It has the accutrigger

Elkbane
01-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Sam,
I'm guessing you have some manufacturing chatter or flashing on the firing pin striker that's slowing down the pin strike (based on your comment that depth is OK and the cartridge fires in a 10/22). While I didn't have that problem, the "bolt polishing" tutorial on rimfirecentral.com really helped slick up the bolt operations on my M9317. You might want to check that out. You basically hone off all manufacturing chatter then reassemble. It works, I've done it, and it's a pretty easy job.

Re' extraction, that sounds like either a rough/tight chamber or a mis-sized extractor. I'd polish the chamber with JB bore paste and see if that helps.....

You can tune the mag by tweaking the feed lips. IMO, the Mags are the worst feature of the 93's.....
Elkbane

thomae
02-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Sam: I don't mean to baffle anyone with my highly technical language, but my thought is that you might also have some gunk which is goobering up your firing pin, thereby slowing it down and causing light strikes. If you can disassemble the bolt, clean everything up and debur (carefully and only if/as necessary) you might solve your problems. Or you could have a gunsmith do it for not a whole lot of money, if you aren't comfortable disassembling your own bolt.

Just a thought. Best of luck with whatever rifle you are shooting. Thanks for introducing your youngster to this fun sport.

forger
02-19-2011, 10:10 AM
It is a new rifle..clean it real wel with brake cleaner or some other such solvent..don't get it on plastic. If that don't get it, take the rifle, along with some of the light strike cases or ammo; back to the dealer where you got it. Savage didn't intend it to be that way..they should either fix it or replace it..