PDA

View Full Version : Actions Vs. Shank size

coyotewallace
12-25-2010, 01:55 AM
could someone post a list of what action models use large shank and what actions use small shank barrels?? Thank You

GaCop
12-25-2010, 07:02 AM
The target actions use large shank and calibers such as the WSMs, RUMs, the super short magnums, etc. The standard Model 10 short action and 110 long action use the small shank. If I left any thing out, someone will correct me in due course.

82boy
12-25-2010, 10:28 AM
The target actions use large shank and calibers such as the WSMs, RUMs, the super short magnums, etc. The standard Model 10 short action and 110 long action use the small shank. If I left any thing out, someone will correct me in due course.

+1

With Savage you never know what you may get, it is possible to find a strange anomaly ever now and again. Savage will make special runs of gun for retailers, and sometime they will use left over parts which will make your head spin. For example, there are some model 10's in 223 that are large shank, they have a ML serial number. What happened was Savage fazed out the ML1 muzzle loader, and used the left over actions to make model 10's in 223, the ML1 was a large shank action. So to tell you the truth no one can guarantee that any action will have either shank size, but chances are very high that what GaCop has stated will follow true.

To add to GaCop's post Savage only has two actions a long and a short everything else is a variation off of that. So when he says model 10 he means models 10,11,12,14, and 16, they are all short. (Exception is some model 12's have the target actions) When he says 110, he means 110,111,112,114, and 116, they are all long actions. (At this present time Savage has never made a target action on a long action.)

Armed in Utah
12-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes.........there are some old flat rear SA 223's out there...

Having an 'M' prefix....I have 3-4 of these set up....

Large shank s/shot actions.....they were a great bargain at the time....