PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounts drilled off-center, How many have you had?

Pages : 1 [2]

JeepsAndGuns
12-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I own a model 111 that is drilled canted (off center) from the factory. Its one of the things on the list to get fixed when I get the money. Its just being a safe queen for now untill I get it fixed.

ajlandis
12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Tell me again hwo the bedding of the bases fixes or help fix the issue?
If you have an action that isn't perfectly straight, mounting a one-piece base to that action will cause the base to flex when tightened down. Then when you mount the rings to the base, they will not be true to each other. When you seat your scope and tighten the out-of-line rings, your tube will be torqued and that could result in internal damage, tube damage, inaccurate adjustments, etc. Bedding a one piece base will allow you mount the base firmly, wthout torquing it out of true. But I don't know how that does anything to realign holes that don't line up straight with the axis of the bore. And I've never bedded a two-piece base. Do you have to attach the rings and scope all together to give the true layout for the bases as you bed them?
Golly, I like signature rings!

Cycler
12-29-2010, 07:57 AM
For minor elevation correction, Brownells sells stainless steel shims in packages and thse can be placed under either base to change the height by a small amount. I had to shim the rear base of my Model 16 SA about .02" to get the scope's elevation setting near center.

For windage problems, Millet sells Weaver-type rings that have significant windage adjusment in the mounting screws.

bbradford71
12-30-2010, 11:25 PM
How do you bed a base, is installing a new base and bedding it something that a novice can do?