PDA

View Full Version : CBI Barrel 6.5x47 Lapua build

Apache
12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Building a 6.5x47 Lapua using a new CBI barrel from Northlander and thought I'ld post the project up for those that might be interested.

The action started life as a Stevens 200 223 cheapo. Bought for the action more than anything. This action has been used for nearly all of my SA builds. I did some action work before the first barrel change out took place. (same work I do on all of my actions)

CBI 6.5x47 Lapua CBI barrel, 8" twist 26" varmint contour from Jim @ Northlander, one of our sponsors here. (Excellent service BTW!!!) My wifes Christmas present to me! ;D ;D ;D

SSS recoil lug that has been used on this action since it was first rebarreled the first time.

SSS bolt handle same as the lug.

SSS bolt head assembly.

New magazine box and follower.

Rifle Basix trigger, same as the lug...set to 2.5 lbs for hunting.

New Duramaxx stock (still need to bed it)

EGW 0 MOA one piece base.

30mm Burris signature rings with the 0 MAO inserts for now.

Vortex Crossfire Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 8-32x 50mm AO

Butler Creek Scope covers

Finished assembly today. Hope to shoot it and post the results in the next few days. Also get some pics soon too.

Lee C.
12-23-2010, 03:25 AM
It sounds like your doing a nice job on your 6.5x47L. Are you reloading for it or shooting factory ammo in it? I'll be looking to see how your testing is going with new CBI barrel. Good luck with it.

GaCop
12-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Yes, would like to hear how it shoots, been thinking of building one in that caliber.

Apache
12-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Was able to find a max load today and fire a few rounds down range.

It barely shows ejector marks at 38.5 grns of RL15 with a 120 Amax into the lands.

Reduced to 38.0 and starting break in of the barrel and fireforming brass. All brass and bullets were unsorted-straight out of the box. After taking 5 shots to get it sighted dead on at 100 yrds, cleaning between each shot. I then shot some 3 shot groups then cleaned. With no tweaking of the load at all I was getting 1/2" groups consistantly. Tried to play with seating depth using the Berger method a bit and found these Amax's didn't care. They shot the same regardless. Haven't seen this before in other calibers that I've used the Amax in. Other calibers had a sweet spot.

So far, I'm well pleased. With some sorting and tweaking of the powder charge and bedding the reciever, I think this is gonna shoot very well. I want to set this up for the Berger 130 hunting VLDs. Too bad none are available that I could find anywhere.

Will be doing some more fireforming and after all brass is ffed I will then turn the necks and work on some real accuracy loading.

Some observations: The barrel threading/finish was extremely good. No slop in the threads at all. Requires a .25 or smaller thickness recoil lug. Not threaded long enough for the thicker lugs, which is OK for this light of a caliber IMO. Recoil was slightly more than I anticipated but certainly nothing to be concerned with. Barrel cleans up really easy, just as good as any of my Shilens do.

Will be doing some more work on it this coming week I hope. Will report on the progress. Hopefully with some pics next time.

Based on this barrel so far, I will certainly buy another. Very surprising quality from such a cheaply priced barrel. Already eyeballing that 30" large shank 6.5x284 Jim has in stock. ;) ;D

Lee C.
12-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Jim, i don't know if this will help ya or not but this is a load that is working for me. 39grs of RL15 in a 28" McGowen barrel.

2959 low fps
2965 highest fps
2962 avg. fps
with a .182 group size at 100yds., this was a test just to slow my fps down a little cause at 39.2 grs. of RL15 my groups where starting to open up at 300 yds. I hope this will help ya out some.

GaCop
12-25-2010, 06:31 AM
What is the cost of the CBI barrel?

Apache
12-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks Lee

Jim @ Northland, CBI barrels:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,36262.0.html

jimbo88mm
12-25-2010, 01:34 PM
How is your crossfire at 24x and above?

Specifically eye relief, clarity, and are you getting any tunnel vision?

Apache
12-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Crossfire is a very nice scope for the money. Don't think it can be matched in its price range.

Clarity is very good. It seems to be a bit sensitive to head position at the higher powers due to exit pupil size but really not anymore than any other high power scope. My Nikon is a better scope but then again it costs alot more too. Hard to wrong with this scope at its price.

Danley
03-05-2011, 11:08 PM
What were your lengths to the lands with different bullets? I'm wanting the same barrel, but dont want a short throat and not have the ability to shoot the 140's.

GaCop
03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, I took the plunge and built a Criterion barreled 6.5X47 Lapua. Shot the build for the first time Sunday in a 25 to 35 mph variable wind and the rifle still managed to give me a half inch group with a 120 grain A-Max seated .005" OTL, pushed by 39.8 grains of IMR 4350. Now for more load development with fire formed Lapua brass. Scope used was a Vortex 6.5X20 Crossfire in Weaver windage adjustable rings on an EGW base.