PDA

View Full Version : Model 11 308- is it long or short action?

Chevy327
12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Brand new to forum and thanks in advance for any help here. I am a green newbie as all of the junting I have done previously I have borrowed by brother in law's guns and binos. Now my sons are getting older and I bought "us" a Savage combo 308. I know the scope with it is not much so I also purchased a Nikon 4x12x40. Being a newbie I scoured this forum last night for about five hours and decided on the game reaper mount for us. I talked to them today to figure out exactly which one and the gentleman said that a 308 is a short action but sometimes the will use a long action setup on the 308. ????? Also I am assuming that since I do not have the Accu Trigger I have a flat back portion. But I don't know how to tell short or long action for mounting the scope. Thanks again!!!

huntnm2001
12-21-2010, 04:31 PM
If it is a model 11 then it is a short action. Another way to tell is the action screw spacing. If it is either 4.40 or 4.25 then it is short action. If it is 5 inches it is long action. To tell whether its flat or round back just look at the action behind the loading port. If its flat its a flat rear, etc.

Chevy327
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the help!!!