PDA

View Full Version : Another good shooting Savage Barrel

358Hammer
12-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Another super shooting Savage barrel. The barrel pictured is a 110 J series 308. The barrel was bought for $45. , cut to 18",crowned and re-chambered to 300WSM recently.

The top left load yesterday shot into a group like the bottom right today. It is a factory Winchester 180 grain power point of which I recently got 3 boxes in a trade.

The bottom right target today is 68grs of Rel 17 and a 165gr Accubond. All targets pictured are three shot groups. This is the second 1 holing Savage chambered in 300WSM factory that was cut off. The other is 19" and is one of those super shinny hunting type barrels that I had Nitrided. The 3rd 300WSM factory barrel was left at 24" and the contour is that skinny little hunting barrel that came from a Stevens as I recall.

I cannot see any reason to buy an after-market barrel when every Savage takeoff barrel I have shoots exactly like this. I now have five heavy hitting magnum takeoff barrels that shoot like this. I am waiting for a moly unfired 300 Rum barrel to get back from Nitriding. I really hope the Rum shoots like the rest of them.

Neal

Note: John 763-439-4867 for those who wish to have barrel Ferratic Nitrded. $35. for handgun barrels. $45. rifle barrels. $45. for actions. You take everything apart or multiply by 2 if you want John to take everything apart. He will NOT re-assemble. Everything must be super clean and in the white. Chrome moly/ the blue must be removed.
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/001-2.jpg

Blue Avenger
12-19-2010, 07:35 PM
What stock suppler inleted for that action?

possum1
12-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Who does your cutting and rechambering ? If you don't mind me asking.

358Hammer
12-19-2010, 07:54 PM
You are a funny guy Greg. That stock is a Savage that I altered in preperation to making a rear grip a couple years ago. Since I ran across a reasonably priced dipper I am slowly fixing and covering all stocks now. I like this style as I can change barrels just the way it sets there. This action now has 5 barrels set and headspace for it. No I do not use a nut wrench and no my barrels do not come loose.

My machines are stored do to a large remodel this past year. I have an 80 year old friend living in Anchorage who charges me $45. to chamber. He was a tool and die maker for 50 years.

Neal

Blue Avenger
12-19-2010, 08:14 PM
as I find the parts I need my rifle collection has been "shrinking" also. I shoot better with short rifles. better then 1/2 my barrel collection are 15" to 18"

Blue Avenger
12-19-2010, 08:17 PM
If that is a current picture I have a lot more snow then you, still on the pine apple express?

358Hammer
12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
That is current weather as of this morning and we have plowed snow 3 times so far and this last time was last week and it was three inches. WI and Minn both have more snow and colder weather typically than Kodiak Alaska. Not quite Arizona but we aren't telling the difference.

I have one 300 Mag Stevens barrel sitting here that I haven't a need for. 24"

Neal

possum1
12-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I have an 80 year old friend living in Anchorage who charges me $45. to chamber. He was a tool and die maker for 50 years.
Reads to me like your living the "berries" up there.