PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New TR with range pictures.

ICUDIEN
12-18-2010, 10:34 PM
My new Mark II TR I got myself for Christmas. ;D

http://i55.tinypic.com/p2m4l.jpg

K31Scout
12-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Looks great. Mine will be in after Christmas. Give me some details on how it shoots and what scope and rings combination are you using. I like the green. Mine will be black but I can always change that. Where did you find yours? I looked for quite a while until I finally ordered one from my local independent sporting goods store.

I won't have my rifle for Christmas but maybe a Harris bipod or a scope.:)

ICUDIEN
12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I got it at Dick's. As far as the scope I'm just gonna use what came on it. I think the tan is a special deal Dick's has with Savage.

K31Scout
12-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I meant tan! I saw green somewhere and thought it looked nice as well.

Rifleman51
12-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Congrats on a very nice rifle, you will love it. It will shoot it's best after a couple of bricks of ammo are shot through it.
You may also want to replace the thin bottom metal with one of the 1/8" bottom metal plates from www.savagegunsmithing.com. It will keep the wood from being crushed and with the thicker metal, there is no need to pillar bed the action to the stock. It also increased the accuracy on my BRJ because it supports the action better and allows more torque of the action screw without bending the stock metal. The thicker one won't bend. My rifle likes more torque than the recommended 15 inch pounds, but the metal bends if you try to use more torque.

For a scope, take a good look at the Mueller APV. I'm sure one of the sponsors on this site has them.
It's a 4 X 14 X 40 AO scope. It has a duplex retical, heavier on the outside with fairly fine wire on the inside of the retical.

Nobody can beleive how sharp and bright the optics are. You would have to spend almost 3 times as much to find a better scope.
They have a lifetime warrenty. They also make a target scope that goes to 30 or 35 power with a very fine wire retical that is a fantastic scope. It has side focus and removable turret knobs so you can set them at zero once you have sighted it in, and they have a couple inbetween scopes that are great also. Look at their entire line of scopes before looking at anything else.

John K

ICUDIEN
12-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Alright well I went to the range this morning and I was pleasantly suprised by the rifle. As dumb as it sounds I've never shot a 22 off a bench before. I didn't have many different kinds of ammo to try. The 2 I had to try were Winchester "Target" and Super X. The Target shot fairly well but I would get unexplained flyers out of almost all the groups. I am guessing it's because of the ammo. But I did get a few good ones. All were shot at 50 yds and were 5 shot. These were some of the good ones.

http://i53.tinypic.com/30wml3n.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zb8ll2.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pictures but tinypic's editing wasn't working. And that terrible scope has to go. I can't even see bullet holes at 50 yds!

K31Scout
12-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Nice, especially the first time out. I hope mine shoots that well. I expect it'll need a few tweaks but that would be a nice starting point. Thanks for the report.

ICUDIEN
12-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Now it's time to start the hint for the perfect ammo.

K31Scout
12-20-2010, 06:18 PM
I've got on hand CCI 36gr. MiniMag, 100 CCI 40gr. Blazer, 100 40gr. Federal Lightening. I can't find any Wolf Match Target locally which is supposed to be exceptional in Savage Mark II's but will get some on order before my rifle gets here.

Rifleman51
12-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Do try to find the regular Wolf match. It seems to shoot the best in most Savage 22's. It will shoot better after a couple of bricks have been shot thru it.

Also, the Wolf takes at least 15 rounds to season a clean barrel before it really starts to lay down good groups. It's worth it though and you can shoot qute a few rounds before the barrel needs to be cleaned.
The Savages shoot best with a slightly dirty barrel anyway. You'll know when it's time to clean the barrel, the accuracy will start to fall off.

You will really be surprised how well it shoots once broken in and when you have found the best shooting ammo.
I have a BRJ that was accurized, it now shoots in the .1" range, 5 shots @ 50 on a good wind day. Best 5 shot group, .117".
I love the rifle, especially for the money. It's hard to beat. The rifle shot in the low .4" range prior to being accurized.
John K

K31Scout
12-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I found Wolf Match Target at sportsmansguide.com It was the only place not sold out. $114 per 1000 rounds shipped. I found CCI Standard Velocity, CCI SubSonic and Remington Subsonic locally.

The Remington's bullet is not crimped very well at all. I can twist the bullet around the case and could probably pull it off. That can't be good for target work!!! My love for Remington is really starting to fade fast.

ICUDIEN
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I found some Winchester Super x CB Match, Remington(Eley) Club Xtra, Remington(Eley) Target Rifle. Just don't know when I'll get to try them out. :-[