PDA

View Full Version : Model 110 - 12 20 Scope Bases

LDSILLS
05-23-2024, 08:28 PM
Can anyone tell me what the top bench guys are using for scope bases on Savages these days. Must be 20MOA as I want to stretch my horizons--Hahah

sharpshooter
05-23-2024, 09:34 PM
Any piccatinny type, Bench Source, Ken Farrel, EGW......whatever gets the job done.

NF1E
05-24-2024, 05:20 AM
Not top of anything but my own shooting. EGW has worked for me for 10s of thousands of rnds with large scopes mounted. Whatta Hobby!

Robinhood
05-24-2024, 09:16 AM
Any piccatinny type, Bench Source, Ken Farrel, EGW......whatever gets the job done.

I used Ken Farrel when that was my thing. No personal experience with Bench Source but never heard any complaints. EGW is a standard but only in aluminum. I did had a couple of Weaver piccitinny rails that were better than the EGW In my opinion.

LDSILLS
05-24-2024, 10:08 AM
I have always been concerned about the coefficient of thermal expansion with Aluminum alloys used for rings and bases. Here in the midwest it can be 50 at 8AM and be over 90 in late afternoon.

Rocketvapor
05-24-2024, 12:00 PM
I have always been concerned about the coefficient of thermal expansion with Aluminum alloys used for rings and bases. Here in the midwest it can be 50 at 8AM and be over 90 in late afternoon.

The difference in the most common aluminum alloys used in scope tubes, rings, and mounts is likely less than 0.2ppm/degree F (13ppm/F +/- 0.2ppm) .
20F to 120F would be 20ppm or less.
For a 34mm scope that's less than 0.0001" change in diameter of both rings and scope tube but mostly the same for similar alloys.
The same goes for mounts. About the same linear change for scope tube and mount.

Bleeb
05-24-2024, 02:45 PM
Can anyone tell me what the top bench guys are using for scope bases on Savages these days. Must be 20MOA as I want to stretch my horizons--Hahah
EGW HD made of 7075 aluminum, 30 MOA, with the front cantilever section cut off.

charlie b
05-24-2024, 05:47 PM
I've used Warne, Weaver and EGW and can't tell a difference.

Not that picky about rings either. The only ones that I have not liked are the Warne vertical split, just because every time I remove the scope I have to reset level and eye relief. If you are going to mount a scope and leave it then they work fine. Same with the Talley one piece ring/base units.

sharpshooter
05-24-2024, 09:55 PM

Yer over thinkin again.........;)

PhilC
05-25-2024, 08:41 AM
I've used Warne, Weaver and EGW and can't tell a difference.

Same for me with Weaver and EGW.

LDSILLS
05-25-2024, 12:18 PM
Yer over thinkin again.........;)

Hahaha... You are 100% correct. Understand I am an engineer and that is what we do. We over think until proven wrong by machinist, welders, farmers and electronic technicians. :cool:

Rocketvapor
05-25-2024, 02:24 PM
Hahaha... You are 100% correct. Understand I am an engineer and that is what we do. We over think until proven wrong by machinist, welders, farmers and electronic technicians. :cool:

As a retired Rocket Scientist, temperature coefficients of materials are critical.
Note that no Algebras were harmed in my previous post :)

Fuj'
05-25-2024, 02:52 PM
Freakin' engineers !! My son is a papered engineer and I'm a retired tool maker. We argue all the time
about the silly sh!t. That being said.....I have one bench gun with a DNZ one piece unit, that holds a
Night Force comp in place and the other active bench gun has a bedded PRI steel rail, only because
I wanted more weight on this particular rifle, and it was in stock when I needed it. Generally for most
everything else, EGW