PDA

View Full Version : Trail Hunter 7 PRC Accuracy Issues

scaast
05-05-2024, 11:23 PM
I have a new Trail Hunter in 7 PRC that I am having a hell of a time getting good groups out of. I've done my due diligence and checked everything to make sure it's torqued to specs, etc. I've tried Hornady Precision Hunter, Hornady Match, and Federal Terminal Ascent ammo, all had issues with grouping. It shot poorly in the out of the box Hogue stock and in the new MDT Oryx chassis. I have other Savage rifles that shoot sub-moa groups out of the box, but this one is a real head scratcher. I have about 180 rounds through it. Any thoughts on what I should check or try? I appreciate any insights. Thank you.

Fuj'
05-06-2024, 06:48 AM
What exact bullet weight for each load you tested, and what is your barrel's twist rate ??
I'll check the bullet lengths when I know what bullet you are shooting. A few have mentioned
that the 7 PRC has too long of a throat, thus too much jump when fed from the magazine.
A VLD style bullet will favor a longer jump.....Did the Hornady shoot better then the Federal
at all ?? Group size at 100 ??

scaast
05-06-2024, 06:58 PM
What exact bullet weight for each load you tested, and what is your barrel's twist rate ??
I'll check the bullet lengths when I know what bullet you are shooting. A few have mentioned
that the 7 PRC has too long of a throat, thus too much jump when fed from the magazine.
A VLD style bullet will favor a longer jump.....Did the Hornady shoot better then the Federal
at all ?? Group size at 100 ??

I appreciate it. Here is the info:

I have a 1:8 barrel twist.

Bullet weights:

Hornady Match: 180gr ELD Match
Hornady Precision Hunter: 175gr ELD-X
Federal Terminal Ascent: 170gr