PDA

View Full Version : Any secrets to improve the gun?

Pages : 1 [2]

Turkeytider
05-08-2024, 09:22 AM
Twist rate is 7 with a 22" barrel.

Varget is very difficult to get ahold of. Will check LGS for the H-322.

Been running the A1200R and CFE223 in my guns as I have always been an AR guy.

This is a whole new road for me to be on.

Update:

Went to LGS and he had 2x1lb cannisters of Varget put away for a customer who never picked it up, so it's mine now. No 77gr, but he did have 69SMK's, so I picked up a 100 of them to try out.

Have to say, it's a good thing my AR rounds only cost about 9cents each in bulk. Don't even want to give them a taste of this stuff!
Going to load at Hodgdon's data = 24gr to start and shoot some rounds. It says max is 26gr.

Update #2

Shot 70 rounds today, 50 of the Varget/SMK69 and 20 of the AR1200/55Gr I have been shooting.

Difference is pretty amazing for me. While the old rounds performed as usual, not bad, not great, the Varget/SMK rounds iinstantly became noticeable once I make a few minor adjustments to the scope. New loads were far more consistent and accurate. All were 4 shot groups. Tighest was .69, largest spread was a .86. This is a far cry from the old loads I have been shooting.

Best day out with this gun so far.

If the 69 grain SMK bullet isn`t the best all purpose .223 bullet ( 7-9 twists ), it`s got to be in the top 2 or 3. My Savage 12 LRPV with 7 twist absolutely loves them. When I don`t screw up the shot, a sub-MOA group at 500 yards is more than possible with this gun/bullet combo. Not surprised at your results with them.

charlie b
05-09-2024, 09:30 PM
Congrats on the improvement.

Now you can start to work on your technique as well. Watch or read some of the techniques good shooters used to improve their setup and trigger pull. The important thing is a good setup and trigger pull.

big honkin jeep
05-09-2024, 10:35 PM
Shooters pro shop sells Nosler over runs and seconds factory direct at a discount. Might try some of the 69gr custom competitions as an economy option. I know they currently have quite a few of those over runs in stock. Think it like $24 per hundred or $209 per K if they work out and your rifle likes em.

Mcrider55
05-10-2024, 06:18 AM
I bought 300 SMK69's and ordered 250 RMR69's to try out as well as 3 more pounds of Varget to add to what I already had.

Appreciate info on Shooters Pro. Will try some of theirs out.

Mcrider55
05-11-2024, 09:57 AM
Been tuning my Varget/SMK69 loads and today I almost hit my holy grail. Shot 100 yards, and 4 of the 5 were dead in the 3/4" bullseye and the 5th shot just barely outside. Max spread of the 5 was .77 inch with 2 bullets thru same hole.

Shooting MOA is far easier with this combination, but doing it all inside the bullseye has been a huge challenge. Still haven't achieved my goal, but I know it's within reach now.

Sure appreciate all the help for ya'll!

charlie b
05-11-2024, 06:40 PM
Congrats. I remember the day my .223 did that the first time. Before you forget save a picture of that target and date it.

Now you get to decide if you want to go down the rabbit hole or not :)

Mcrider55
05-12-2024, 10:41 AM
Now you get to decide if you want to go down the rabbit hole or not :)

It may be too late for that!

Went out again today, and damn near did it 2x more. Got very close, but always that 1 shot that just doesn't go where I want it to.

At this point, I think I have the gun and the ammo load where it needs to be. Better front and rear bags are the next purchase.

big honkin jeep
05-12-2024, 05:41 PM
Go ahead and get some good bags but keep tinkering with the load. Wouldnt worry as much about the bullseye as getting them into the smallest ragged hole ( group) possible. Adjusting the point of impact onto the bullseye after you find the magic load is a piece of cake. It sounds like youre on a node. Keep working with what youve got with small changes in charge weight and seating depth, maybe even try a different primer. If you keep tinkering and shooting you're gonna find it. Its there. Sometimes it takes a while and sometimes you luck right into it quickly. Other good sources to look into loads are Sierra Bullets Data has accuracy loads that are a great place to start tinkering Or the Nosler Guide which lists most accurate powder tested and most accurate charge weight tested. Since each rifle is an individual your mileage may vary but Ive found the data feom each source to be a very good starting point on multiple occasions.
Good luck
PS here's the number for the Sierra tech line. They're very helpful folks and do extensive testing
800-223-8799

Mcrider55
05-12-2024, 06:17 PM
Go ahead and get some good bags but keep tinkering with the load. Wouldnt worry as much about the bullseye as getting them into the smallest ragged hole ( group) possible. Adjusting the point of impact onto the bullseye after you find the magic load is a piece of cake.

I was raised as a "hit the bullseye" shooter since I was a kid for hunting, and I've never changed. Coming from a tactical training AR shooting style, hitting the mark has always been most important, because there's no guarantee of a follow-up shot.

I can shoot MOA groups, it's just more consistent with this rifle/ammo combination. Where I live, be it hunting of SHTF, you'll seldom have an opportunity to shoot even 100 yards. The terrain and millions of trees make sure of that. I'm shooting for both precision and accuracy. It's fun and challenging

Appreciate the info!!!

LHitchcox
06-02-2024, 07:33 PM
FMJ bullets are some of the least accurate, so I would start there by using a more accurate bullet.

Loading my own.

55gr FMJ Berry's
Alliant 1200r, 22.9gr
CCI 450 Primers

Haven't shot it without can since I bought it.

Blue Avenger
06-02-2024, 09:16 PM
Find some 1/2" dots.
Aim small, Hit small!

Mcrider55
06-02-2024, 11:37 PM
Since I originally posted this, I've really delved into reloading more precise loads. I can pretty easily shoot 3 & 4 shot groups of under 1 MOA. I use 69gr RMR's with 24.5 gr of Varget. Bought inline micrometer for seat depth.

I shoot at a 3/4" bullseye and have put 4 shots inside it numerous times, the 5th is elusive so far.

Having owned a number of .223's their accuracy overall is pretty amazing, where I'm at now as a shooter is delving into the witchcraft of reloading.