PDA

View Full Version : Please talk me off the ledge

pdog06
04-30-2024, 05:36 PM
Ok, here’s a little back story. So last week I was bored and a somewhat local auction house was having a gun auction. For a laugh I was following it online seeing how overpriced the guns went for, like most auctions. But on occasion there are good deals. Well, I put a bid of $325 for a new(with savage stickers still on it) 110 in .243 complete with dbm. And I won it….lol didn’t even need it but it was a great deal!

Now fast forward to today. On my lunch break today I stopped by a local gun shop. This shop is always overpriced on new stuff compared to other shops in the area, but it’s local and has stuff I like so I go there from time to time. Well, they had 2 Savages on the used rack that I feel were outstanding deals.

1) Savage model 116 in 300wm…stainless barreled action, dbm, factory synthetic stock, very clean condition. Price was $349!

2) Model 112 BVSS in 300wm….stainless barreled action, fluted varmint wt barrel, older flat back action, only a couple of scratches on stock. AND this also had a 5.5-16.5 silver Nikon Monarch scope on it. Price for this package was $449!

I almost bought both of them. Don’t have a need for a 300wm, but damn!

Anyone looking for one LMK. I need these gone before I go back in there. I want the bvss and would do a barrel swap on it probably, but I’m weak when I see stuff like this.

Post how you feel about the prices for each. Am I crazy or did I do right by leaving immediately.

Btw, they also had Varget for 64.99/lb and cci br4’s for $199/1k….. see, I told you they’re high on most stuff!

Robinhood
04-30-2024, 06:27 PM
Heck of a pickle you've got before you. Buy the BVSS. The parts are worth more than the cost of the rifle. That action is probably smooth.

pdog06
04-30-2024, 07:13 PM
The parts a definitely worth the price.. but I’m not gonna buy it just to sell it all as parts.

If I bought it I would probably pull the barrel and bolt head off and replace it something I would use. I have no intention of shooting a 300wm after a total shoulder rebuild that still bothers me…lol probably the only reason I had enough willpower to walk out of there without one of them today. But I do have a sort spot for those old bvss’s. Just wish it was a different caliber.

J.Baker
05-01-2024, 12:45 AM
Go back there and buy them both RIGHT NOW! What a silly, silly question to bother asking us. I mean come on man...you've been around here long enough to know better. :p

jpx2rk
05-01-2024, 05:39 AM
there are hot and/or rainy days coming this summer, you need both of those waiting for you make 'em into something you'll use. LOL

pdog06
05-01-2024, 07:32 AM
I mean come on man...you've been around here long enough to know better. :p

No doubt Jim. I’ve also been married long enough…lol

Timing is just bad. (1)Just bought a gun last week on a whim and if I keep it it needs a scope. (2)Just had a water leak that ruined part of my basement and currently have people at the house everyday ripping it out and replacing what is bad(gonna cost me a couple grand for my insurance deductible). And (3) I’m leaving for a 10 day prarie dog trip at the end of the month!.

I won’t buy both of them but I’m not ruling out the bvss for a future build. That old long action was smoooooothe!

PhilC
05-01-2024, 09:28 AM
Going through a flood loss/repair at our lake cabin, coverage denied by ins co so all on us. I'd buy that BVSS in a heartbeat even with $$$ outflow repair work right now. A barrel swap to something you'd prefer to shoot is simple but you already know that. :thumb:

charlie b
05-01-2024, 07:53 PM
I'd be hard pressed to pass on the BVSS, especially with that scope.

But, yeah, I know the feeling. We are sinking a few thousand in a family issue right now so don't have any money to spare either.

lskok
05-02-2024, 12:14 AM
Those are both great deals, but the BVSS with Monarch is a killer deal!

big honkin jeep
05-06-2024, 10:55 PM
Well since we are here to enable each other Ill chime in. You do realize with some H4895 and light bullets you can turn that BVSS win mag into a really soft shooting .30 right?
Just use Hodgdons 60% of max reduced load formula. No barrel no bolt head.
See, easy and economical. Whats not to love.

Blue Avenger
05-07-2024, 07:14 AM
you know your friends would be jumping off the bridge with you just like mom asked you about as a kid!

pdog06
05-07-2024, 11:08 AM
Lol exactly Greg. Knew I could count on everyone. Hoping to stop by there one day this week.

243LPR
05-09-2024, 06:16 PM
What LGS? Morr’s?

pdog06
05-09-2024, 07:45 PM
What LGS? Morr’s?

Yes.. you interested. I’m headed there tomorrow so you better hurry

pdog06
05-10-2024, 10:50 AM
What LGS? Morr’s?

The bvss is gone. The model 116 in 300wm is still there for $349. It looks as good as brand new.

Robinhood
05-11-2024, 11:33 PM