PDA

View Full Version : Source for short action 0.422" bolt head and magazine?

dfrosch
03-29-2024, 01:51 PM
Thinking about assembling a 6.8 SPC bolt action. The parts would be common to 224 Valkyrie, 6.8 SPC and 400 legend rifles. PTG makes a bolt head, but they are proud of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

lskok
03-29-2024, 02:23 PM
Since Savage now makes rifles in 400 Legend there should be a factory bolt head. Next time I talk to Savage I'll try to get the factory part number.

dfrosch
03-29-2024, 02:48 PM
Since Savage now makes rifles in 400 Legend there should be a factory bolt head. Next time I talk to Savage I'll try to get the factory part number.

Thank You! :thumb:

If I may impose, please also ask about the metal magazine box(blind box or release on the bottom metal) and the follower.

GaCop
03-30-2024, 07:31 AM
Interesting project. I had 6.8 in the normal AR platform but in a bolt action it would be REAL interesting.

dfrosch
03-30-2024, 01:27 PM
Interesting project. I had 6.8 in the normal AR platform but in a bolt action it would be REAL interesting.

Yep. I built a 6.8 AR several years ago. Bought a bunch of different factory ammo for it. The different ammo runs from way under gassed to way over gassed. Settled on the stuff that cycles good. Figure that a bolt action would shoot all of it. Should shoot like a 250 Savage, but with a little bigger bullet.

A vendor on 68forums is making a batch of small shank 18" heavy sporter barrels. I'm still kinda on the fence.

GaCop
03-31-2024, 06:42 AM
Yep. I built a 6.8 AR several years ago. Bought a bunch of different factory ammo for it. The different ammo runs from way under gassed to way over gassed. Settled on the stuff that cycles good. Figure that a bolt action would shoot all of it. Should shoot like a 250 Savage, but with a little bigger bullet.

A vendor on 68forums is making a batch of small shank 18" heavy sporter barrels. I'm still kinda on the fence. Exactly. good luck and keep us posted.