PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Bedding Project Questions

arcstarter
12-16-2010, 01:26 AM
When bedding the recoil lug how much epoxy do you put in front of the lug and how do you keep the putty from running?

Also when bedding around the rear pillar do you fill up the areas on either side of the pillar?

Pics would be very much appreciated

mscott71
12-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Playdough is great for these areas. I put 3-4 layers of masking tape on the front, sides, and bottom of the recoil lug and then some playdough. You only need to be the back of the recoil lug. The epoxy shouldn't be runny enough to worry about. If it is use a different product. Yes, I put playdough on the right of the rear pillar. Here's a good thread to read through http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2118908&page=1

arcstarter
12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm Using Devcon Steel putty... so the most important thing is to just make sure the back of the recoil lug is bedded and not to have any in front of it? On all of the bedding pictures I've seen people have put what looks like 3/4" of bedding in front of the recoil lug as well.

Rifleman51
12-16-2010, 01:44 PM
You will see bedding all the way around the lug, but the tape on the front, sides and bottom of the lug creates some space at those places on the lug so the lug is not in direct contact with the bedding except for the back of the lug which is not taped.

That's why it looks like the lug has bedding all the way around it, it does, it's just that the tape give clearence.

John K

FW Conch
12-16-2010, 04:40 PM
??? Guys, I'm posting this @ the risk of "widdling" in a lot of peoples wheaties. If the "front" of the recoil lug is taped off it does not function as a recoil lug. The rifle recoils backward so the barreled action needs to be prevented from moving forward. Just as when we mount scope bases & rings we push all the slack forward. Many will say they have been imobileizing the rear of the lug for decades with good results. This just shows me that the recoil lug was no problem to accuracy in the first place. With most of the rifles sold, the recoil lug is just floating in a big hole so a good bedding job can make it a functioning part if the tape is put on the rear.

::) OK - If I'm wrong - "let me have it" - Jim

arcstarter
12-16-2010, 04:47 PM
So what is the purpose of bedding in front of the lug if it does not improve anything nor contact the lug at all?

thirty06
12-16-2010, 04:49 PM
You have your recoil backwards. If it worked the way your thinking you would have to hold the rifle so it wouldn't jump away
from your shoulder. There for no recoil. The barreled action recoils to the rear that's why the back of the lug is bedded tight.
You really don't need anything on the front of the lug.

FW Conch
12-16-2010, 05:06 PM
??? So is my thinking also wrong on scope base & ring mounting as/per the manufacturers instructions?

thirty06
12-16-2010, 05:19 PM
No your scope thoughts are right. When you pull the trigger the barrelled action wants to go backward.
Everything attached to the gun wants to sit still.