PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

Firedad
03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Hello from Northern Nevada! I frequent many forums for hunting, long range shooting, fly fishing, rod building, fly tying, and SXS. My oldest boy was bought his first rifle in 6.5CM and is now getting set up for his two younger siblings 10 & 11. It’s just an Axis but has been a good entry level gun for them and I look forward to learning from you to make it the best tool it can be.

ragsflh
03-25-2024, 11:04 AM
welcome

rerun5
03-26-2024, 12:07 AM
You say just an Axis. I would have to look it up, but I saw a video on youtube. It was by a guy somewhere in your neck of the woods, out west. He was at a makeshift long range sight and he had 2 high end rifles in 6.5 CM and 1 Savage Axis in 6.5 CM. He showed his target distances on his range that culminated with a 1000 yard target. Out of the three rifles the only one that hit the thousand yard target, and very accurately may I add, was the Axis. If I can find it again I'll post it here.

J.Baker
03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Welcome!

Despite the low entry price, the Axis is a pretty darn good platform. Savage finally addressed the magazine retention issue a couple years ago with the new latching mechanism, and the newer Axis stocks are worlds better than the originals, so they're plenty good out of the box for a simple yet accurate basic hunting rifle. I know a few guys who have even built up a benchrest rifle from an Axis action for use in local matches that have no problem holding their own against much more expensive high dollar rigs.

GaCop
03-26-2024, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the group!