PDA

View Full Version : Lyman "M" die?

RustyW
12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Anyone use the Lyman "M" die for flatbase bullets? I'm starting to reload for a 22-250 using a 50gr SP and am seeing a small amount of copper shaving from the bullet. I chamfer the case after trimming but it's difficult to get the bullet started straight especially with my fat fingers. I usually load cast bullets in 30cal & up and the M die is the ticket for them. I was just wondering if there's any down side to them using a jacketed bullet.

I'm a new guy here but not to reloading or Savage rifles. I'm 39 and started reloading for 12ga shotguns at age 13 on a Lee Load All. I've been reloading for pistol & rifles since I was about 21. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt and purchased 1 box of factory rounds for it. That was the end of that, been reloading ever since. The last 4 or 5 years I've been learning the art of casting my own bullets and have recently been bitten by the savage barrel interchangeability bug. Actually the barrel swap was what sparked my interest. I was looking for a 358win bbl to shoot cast bullets in and this sicknesss is soooo very contagious I'm now thinking about a 223AI or a 6CM that I've recently heard about. I've recently purchased a 22-250 bbl from a forum member and am going to take on swaping it myself. If all goes well, I may have a whole nuther addiction to feed.....

GaCop
12-16-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't see where the "M" die would hurt if used lightly. I totally eliminated bullet shaving by going to an RCBS benchrest 17 degree inside chamfer tool.

Eric in NC
12-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Have used them on thin-walled BP cartridges with cast bullets - never needed them with jacketed. If the chamfer tool doesn't do it for you, I would bet your dies are sizing the brass down too much.