PDA

View Full Version : Swapped my tupperware for a tupperware Accustoc

Rivethead
03-10-2024, 07:47 PM
Yesterday I bedded the action on my R700 223 and free floated the barrel from touching at the end of the stock - hope that improves things with it. I used that 24yo acraglas I had sitting around... for 24 years.
I thought it had dried up but a few weeks ago I broke thru the thin top crust and have been using it on various small jobs- it seems to be working just fine after all this time. So I decided to try it for a bedding job and can't see any issues with it- I got plenty to use up in the future... we'll see how it holds up.

Today I noticed an Accustock sitting in the corner and decided it was time to install it on my M11 223.

I bought it several years ago for just this gun, but never got around to using it. I already had the accu-lug recoil plate and a new notched nut, so I decided to pull the barrel... what a pain trying to get the smooth nut off... nothing worked, not even the blue wrench... until I used a pipe wrench - then the barrel broke free with the nut firmly in place. The threads were caked with brown granules and the nut would only turn a couple of turns and then get bound up - I kept working it back and forth, kroil, brushing the threads, and finally got it to the end and off. Once I had the threads cleaned up and a thin coat of antiseize on, it didn't take long to headspace it and put everything back together.

Next I had to dremel out the top bolt release area as the accustock didn't have the cut-out, but you could see a mold line for one. I used a serrated drum cutter in the dremel, and it did a pretty good job of relieving the area. At one point the lever would work fine but when I tightened the action screws it bound up... a little more material, and it worked fine at 30# torque on the screws... now to resight it in and see how she groups.

J.Baker
03-11-2024, 10:03 AM
Sounds like a good day at the workbench. Those factory nuts can be a real headache to remove the first time due to the residue that builds up in the threads from the polishing and bluing processes.

Rivethead
03-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Here is a pic of the TBR area I had to dremel out...

and the old acraglas... 10496

I discovered another area that needed minor fitting... the magazine latch was just a hair too wide to fit up in the aluminum bedding, so I filed the sides a little until it snapped in easy...

Everything seems to work now... hopefully no surprises at the range.