PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 stock shortening?

LHitchcox
12-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Can the buttstock on a Stevens 200 CF stock be easily shortened? A friend of mine has a Stevens for his 14 year old daughter. She is rather short and will likely not be over 5'5" or 5'6". The current LOP is long for her. I would like to shorten it if it is practical. If not, I will look for a youth stock.

Thanks

model14
12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Remove the recoil pad (two screws) and look at what is involved. It is a hollow stock. If you shorten by one inch or more, how will you now mount the recoil pad (is there enough screw purchase left?) and note that the stock recoil pad will be too large for the outline of the shortened butt? Just my thoughts, others may vary.

tammons
12-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I think it would be doable if you dont cut it too much.

A wood stock is solid. That would be easier to cut
and mount a pad on.

You will have to buy a grind to fit recoil pad.

Elkbane
12-15-2010, 12:44 PM
You can do it if you're handy. Cut off the stock, allowing for the thickness of the pad you intend to use. Then expoxy a block of wood into the stock to catch the recoil pad screws. If you scuff up the inside surface of the stock with sandpaper and clean it with acetone or brake cleaner, the epoxy will stick. If I were you, I'd fill up the void in the stock with expanding foam, like "Great Stuff" while I was at it to eliminate that annoying "hollow" sound, before installing the recoil pad. And as stated above, you'll probably have to grind/fit a pad unless you're extremely lucky and a manufacturer's pad happens to fit.

Something else to think about... while cutting the stock, this gives you a chance to change the angle of the butt to give a little more clearance at the toe - something most women appreciate after they grow those things on their chest - we sometimes forget that they are shaped different than we are, and most stocks are made for men........
ELkbane

scope eye
12-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi cut it as short as you need then put a limb saver on it two birds one stone.
Dean

laportecharlie
12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Elkbane is right on the money on this one. I bought a short piece of full dimension 1"X6" Alder and have done seven or eight stocks. I use the HiViz X-Coil recoil pad which is a "grind to fit" pad and they come out looking really nice.
Charlie

12-17-2010, 12:15 PM
My newer 223 Stevens 200 has the very soft recoil pad, I wanted to put it on a 308 Sav Tactical that has the hard recoil pad but the hole spacing was different. Anyways the Stevens butt pad screws were 1 1/2'' long, so you might be able to cut off 1" and still have some of the hole remaining.

vabowhntr
12-17-2010, 01:47 PM
I cut off approx 3/4" on a mossberg synthetic stock and had enough of the holes the screws went in to still hold the recoil pad. Once the pad was reinstalled it was a little over the edges of the stock, so I used the belt sander to take it down to the stock level. Looks nice, but exposed a slight amount of the metal frame that was in the recoil pad, which I touched up with some black paint. Hardly noticable now.