PDA

View Full Version : actions

bobcat30
12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Has anybody noticed that this up coming year savage is only offering the target action as a stand alone action , noticed it this morning as i was looking thru the new list of offerings on their site.

bobcat30
12-16-2010, 01:05 AM
What i meant was they are not offering the repeater actions per the website any longer.

Nefarioud
12-16-2010, 01:23 AM
I noticed that a last week when I was looking at the specs on the new LRP.

bobcat30
12-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Wonder whats goin on? Seems as tho there would be a viable market for them.

Nefarioud
12-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Indeed, but I bet they make more on rifles. :)

bobcat30
12-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Im sure your right.

keeki
12-17-2010, 07:30 PM
i dont know how they could make more on rifles, the stevens action cost around 235 and the whole gun is only 300

Nefarioud
12-17-2010, 08:27 PM
The action ells for $225 which means they make them for significantly less. Parts are ALWAYS more expensive than the complete unit. Being a motorcycle enthusiast will teach this in short order. The barrels are really nothing more than a metal pipe, not particularly complicated from a production stand point. Once the tooling is done for the stocks is made (big bucks) each individual stock probably cost less than $2 in material (used to work at a place that injection molded stuff) making them cheap too.

What I meant was that there are a lot more people buying complete rifles than actions alone. If you had the choice between actions sitting on the shelf waiting for one of us lunatics to come up with some crazy plan and buy one or having Wal-mart buy 10,000 rifles to sit on their shelves, I'm thinkin' you'd go for the Wal-mart deal.

Probably there were a set number of actions allocated to be sold as parts. Someone probably looked at the rate of sales for complete rifles and compared it to how quickly the actions sold and decided the rifles were the better way to go or there was surplus of actions with vendors and the decision was made to hold back. I always wondered about the liability issues surrounding selling just the action. It almost seems like it's inviting trouble selling something specifically for the end user to construct themselves. If they sell a rifle and someone takes it apart then it has been modified by the user and they are fairly well protected. By that logic though the PTA would still pose a threat.