PDA

View Full Version : Barrel turning services in 2024?

Pages : 1 [2]

Tiekmir
03-10-2024, 04:24 AM
You're going down a rabbit hole if it's just going to be a hunting rifle in 308 Win.

I want a heavier barrel for when I am doing target practice. The Sporter contour is a huge PITA heating up so damn fast. I take 5 or more shots and it starts stringing all over the place. Eff that. I need a heavier barrel. Pencil Sporters suck.

Tiekmir
03-10-2024, 04:26 AM
So I take it no one has done business with Crown Ridge.

Good to know.

Tiekmir
03-10-2024, 04:29 AM
It's a Savage with a floating bolt head. Don't worry about blueprinting as you'll not see a difference, especially if cost is an issue. Barrel work is the most important part. If you want to spend more then upgrade the trigger, or ask Dave if he will do it :)

I like to shoot barrels first before doing anything like lapping. Might shoot really well without that effort. Savage stock barrels are known to look like rough machine work and still shoot to 0.5MOA.

Isn't blueprinting the same as the "True & Time Action" service like what Sharp Shooter Supplies does to Savages?

If not, what is the appreciable difference?

Tiekmir
03-10-2024, 04:58 AM
I am very confident in my mechanical skills. If I had the time I'd go get a machining degree. Right now I work in aerospace fabrication running a CNC laser.

I also ascribe to the Nathan Foster methods of accurizing rifles. I am also going to fully glass bed the rifle and stiffen the fore end with Score-High Pro-Bed 2000 Glass Bedding compound per Nathan Fosters excellent YouTube series on glass bedding rifle stocks.

Fuj'
03-10-2024, 07:38 AM
Isn't blueprinting the same as the "True & Time Action" service like what Sharp Shooter Supplies does to Savages?

If not, what is the appreciable difference?

There is sometimes a misconception about "blueprinting" It just means that it's being
checked to see if it's centered within the factory tolerances of the original drawings.
You might find a part within tolerance mated to a part that is also in tolerance, but
put together, it's out of tolerance. Fred will make sure the full assembly is right and true.