PDA

View Full Version : the ''bargain basement'' 111 fcxp3 rifle.

NOOTKA NICK
02-29-2024, 10:32 PM
Back in 2010 iirc, I bought a .300 win mag. 111 fcxp3 for under $400 (Canadian funny money). gave the rings bases and scope away....installed LEUPOLD VX2 With leupold rings and bases...........my ''cheap rifle has been a flawless shooter for all those years.......black bear,moose.........it just plain works.....

Dave Hoback
02-29-2024, 11:13 PM
Yes, for all the hate people give them, many more Savage 110’s just work well than have you problem. They are the 10th highest selling firearms company in the US, and 12th highest in the world. Have been for many years. The haters have no clue of this.

RWA007
03-01-2024, 02:20 PM
Happy to hear that!
What types of ammo do you use in your 300 win mag? Specifically for black bear/moose, etc. and at what ranges?.... I recently picked up a Savage 300 win mag myself and I've had some range time with it and it's pretty accurate. I do handload, but my goal (and the reason I like Savages) was to be able to shoot off the shelf ammo and be satisfied with the accuracy. So far it hasn't disappointed me. It's favorite ammo right now is that 180 gr Horndady American Whitetail. (Interlock bullets).
I have a black bear hunt coming up NEXT spring (2025). Range will likely be under 50 yards as we are hunting over bait. More likely 20 to 30 yards.
Thanks in advance, hope i'm not derailing this thread...but definitely interested in your ammo choices for your Savage 300 win mag!

Edit: Forgot to add...I have one of those 111 bargain basement savages, in .270! It's my Missouri Whitetail gun, and it has ALWAYS worked great! Recently bought a new .270 Trail Hunter! I'm a Savage fan also.