PDA

View Full Version : accutrigger

rez187
12-15-2010, 05:08 AM
ok here goes i adjusted the accutrigger down of course on a model 10 predator. turned it down to min and now i have occasion where the trigger releases but the sear/hammer or whatever does not function and result no boom boom. it happens only once in a while all other times gun fires as normal. any suggestions? can you turn down too far????? im no smith but i know enough to get by. ps ive tried turning trigger up ie heavier by a few quarter turns but no better?????

keeki
12-15-2010, 06:06 AM
seen this twice and both times it was too low. i think the min on that trigger is 2lbs, so just keep turning it up til it works properly. its slam firing, meaning the reason it wont shoot is because its already released when you closed the bolt.

bodywerks
12-17-2010, 02:23 AM
And the only reason its not actually firing when you close the bolt is because the sear jams up against the accurelease. The accurelease is the ONLY nice feature of the accutrigger. Other than that they are worthless hassles, for target shooters at least, that want 1 pound pull or less AND a reliable trigger.

Captain Eddie
12-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Bodywerks is spot-on. You can get a lighter pull and still have a safe accu-trigger if you get a replacement accu-trigger spring from SSS. I just put one in my 110BA and the pull is a reliable, repeatable one pound. The spring is $5.00, but don't be in a hurry. They're always busy because they do good work.

82boy
12-18-2010, 12:55 AM
What you are describing is one of the fatal flaws with the accu-trigger. What is actually happing is the gun is slam firring with the bolt closure, and the safety release is catching the trigger, and locking up the action. If you turn the trigger weight up it will stop this problem.

Another fix to this problem is to get a lighter bolt handle. (O boy here comes the flames again) Majority of people can not comprehend the relationship of the bolt handle to the trigger. all I can say to the naysayers, is look at the newer Savages they (Savage) stared placing a rubber bugger in the bolt handle valley to obsorb the shock caused by the bolt handle, causing the slam fire lock up condition.

Changing the spring will only make the problem worse or keeping it the same.

frank1947
12-18-2010, 01:30 AM
this may sound crazy but when i got my f class gun right out of the box it did that drove me crzy on dry fire testing took stock off and it had heavy grease all over one area where there is a grove not familiar with all the names but none of it would come out with spray had to get it out with cotton swabs and disc brake cleaner then oiled it works fine now.

Captain Eddie
12-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Changing the spring didnot make the problem "worse". It took the trigger pull from two and a half pounds to one pound and the accu-trigger is as reliable as ever. I have a 12BT and a 12F/TR with accu-trigger pulls of four ounces and have no problems.

bodywerks
12-19-2010, 05:29 AM
I think one of my posts got deleted? Anyway, I did not say to get a different spring for the highly faulted. Accutrigger - I said to get rids of it entirely! And get a better trigger assembly altogether. All of my savages have SSS triggers and I couldn't be happier, but there also other trigger assemblies on the market that will do the job as well.

frank1947
12-19-2010, 12:08 PM
you know savage has a great return policy and fast turn around time just call and ask for a call tag they will pay for shipping and send UPS to your door.

Rifleman51
12-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't know why people hate the Accu Trigger so much. My gunsmith, Scott Null at Savagegunsmithing turns out Accu Triggers at 8 to 10 OZ that break like glass and are 100% reliable, none of the slam firing you guys are talking about or other problems. When set extreamly light, you have to be deliberate in the way you cock the trigger so that it catches every time at the very lighest setting, but it's not a problem at all. He's done the triggers on my center fire and rim fire Savages as well as several other brands and every one is perfect.

I've watched him do several. He just uses stones and tweeks the springs. He knows just how to do them and they come out fantastic. He may have the parts in and out of the 10 times until it's perfect, but he really makes them exceptional. No shimming, changing springs out or anything else.

I think that there is just so much information out there that's incorrect that that's one of the main reason people have so many problems.
It's just knowing how to do the trigger the right way.

Those of you who have been around this site for 6 or 7 years may remember me, I used to be the gunsmithing moderator on this site and am a retired gunsmith, so I do know what I'm talking about, not just talking out of my rear end. I was a darn good smith, but Scott is a true Master Gunsmith. That's why he is so darn good with any kind of firearm.

The Accu Trigger is fantastic if just modified correctly by someone who really knows what they are doing.

John K

82boy
12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
The Accu Trigger is fantastic if just modified correctly by someone who really knows what they are doing.
John K

Trust me on this one, once you try a SSS trigger, you will see why people say the things they do.

Rifleman51
12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
There is no need for the SSS Trigger if the Accu Trigger is modified correctly. The SSS trigger is fantastic, but so is a properly modified Accu Trigger.

Once people try a properly modified Accu trigger, they don't ask for the SSS. It's just an extra expense. For people who do their own work, they will most likely get better results with the SSS, but if having a rifle accurized, the SSS is not needed.

John K

sparks1
12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm glad this post is here. I just had the same problem at a shoot here in Mn. 100 to 500 yds and 10 degrees this morning. After the rifle sat outside for a few hours it malfunctioned as described in the first post.

Another guy there said he had the same problem in the cold ...said to adjust it to a heavier pull and it would be just fine. I do have it set light, and it's a 10 FCP.

Perfect timing.

Rifleman51
12-19-2010, 07:02 PM
I go out to shoot with Scott sometimes, we shoot in weather that is sometimes sub zero when testing guns. I had not seen the malfuntions you have described. We shot 5 Accutiggers at 2 degree weather the day before yesterday and not one failure.

I think it's a combination of having the trigger modified the correct way and the lube used.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about the SSS trigger, it's a great trigger, but I have shot both side by side, so I know how they compare.
I would say that if someone like Scott were to work the SSS trigger and the Accu Trigger to be the best each could be, the SSS would be just a little bit better, but not by much.

I guess the whole point here is not to compare the SSS and the Accu trigger, both are great when properly worked, but just to say that properly re worked, the Accu Trigger can be excellent, especially for a factory trigger.

A really excellent gunsmith is what makes the difference. The Accu trigger has the ability to be a great trigger properly re worked.

I just hate to see the Accu trigger not given it's do. It can be a great trigger, just too much bad info on modifiying them out on the net, done right, they are fantastic.

Were you to try both a properly modified Acu Trigger and one not done right, side by side, you would see what I mean, but if you have not, you really can't make a good comparison. I have shot in all kinds of weather, that is where my experience comes from, not from what I have read on the net, but real time shooting. From 117 degrees to 10 below zero.

John K