PDA

View Full Version : In search of sub 14 oz trigger for a Savage 12 BVSS

Pages : 1 [2] 3

NF1E
02-24-2024, 08:13 AM
Shooters who set the trigger that low are few & far between. Funny thing. None of the top shooters I’ve ever read about go that low. Same with any of the records are done with with these single ounce triggers. Seems like it’s mostly InterWeb shooters who like triggers that ridiculously light. I’m sure there are some. But none I’ve ever seen. You even think about the trigger following the bolt and it’ll trip, LOL!

4 - 6 oz is pretty conservative these days. A bunch of the 40x guys I shoot with have their triggers down under 2 0z. To me, that's a bit light but we all have choices for our particular discipline. My custom 10-22s use KIDD 3.5/3.5 oz 2 stage triggers and they do a fabulous job. For sure none of these are hunting firearms. Whatta Hobby!

Robinhood
02-24-2024, 09:59 AM
4 - 6 oz is pretty conservative these days. A bunch of the 40x guys I shoot with have their triggers down under 2 0z. To me, that's a bit light but we all have choices for our particular discipline. My custom 10-22s use KIDD 3.5/3.5 oz 2 stage triggers and they do a fabulous job. For sure none of these are hunting firearms. Whatta Hobby!

Specially when people are using free recoil, it gets real easy to upset point of aim.

NF1E
02-24-2024, 11:09 AM
Specially when people are using free recoil, it gets real easy to upset point of aim.

Yep, bag sliders are often used in this discipline. 70 years of shooting and I learn something new every day. Whatta Hobby!

Rocketvapor
02-24-2024, 11:14 AM
Slope in that first pic doesn't give you problems?
Or, just set for picture?

Dave Hoback
02-24-2024, 11:18 AM
That one old pic is something.

NF1E
02-24-2024, 12:01 PM

No problem at all. That is a 22 rf. I single load so when I close the bolt with my thumb, I make sure the slider is touching the stop. Centerfires would be level. Whatta Hobby!

NF1E
02-24-2024, 12:04 PM
That one old pic is something.

That was taken about 72 years ago when I was 3. My Dad and older brother set that up thinking it would be cool. Would not be politically correct today.

ArtinNC
02-24-2024, 03:55 PM
I shoot with a Jewell triger on a Remington action , and my Savage with a Rifle Basix and I'll bet the Rifle Basix I have it down to 6oz with out any problems .

Fuj'
02-24-2024, 05:59 PM
Here ya' go NF1E......I have the grandson shooting off a Bald Eagle that I added one of Butch Lambert's
Joy stick tops, with a 4" bag and one of my longer sticks. Most people dump the cable when they get them.
I have it bolted to a 12 lb plate, Very solid setup for rimfire. I just threw a simple 4" plate on a pic rail just
to get him out in some nice weather last year. That CZ has a 10 oz Timney but put it at a one lb, to let him
work on some bench manners. Harrels spiral tuner brake was on just for a dog and pony show. They are junk
after a box of ammo, being that they plug up with bullet lube.

NF1E
02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Here ya' go NF1E......I have the grandson shooting off a Bald Eagle that I added one of Butch Lambert's
Joy stick tops, with a 4" bag and one of my longer sticks. Most people dump the cable when they get them.
I have it bolted to a 12 lb plate, Very solid setup for rimfire. I just threw a simple 4" plate on a pic rail just
to get him out in some nice weather last year. That CZ has a 10 oz Timney but put it at a one lb, to let him
work on some bench manners. Harrels spiral tuner brake was on just for a dog and pony show. They are junk
after a box of ammo, being that they plug up with bullet lube.

Very nice. Wonderful to be bringing the youngsters up the ladder.

LDSILLS
02-28-2024, 05:27 PM
I saw this on youtube a few days back. The man in video claims he's getting 12 oz pull. For me 10-12 oz is just right. Also note the chance of a slamming the bolt and getting a fire is pretty nill. For any ounce IMHO due to the accutrigger second safety which blocks the sear unless the ACCU Release Lever (first silver trigger) is pulled. Thats the beauty of making mods to the accutrigger it really does have a second safety!

Heres the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba3sWKdl8lU&ab_channel=TGCorbinski

Order History for both the screw and spring:
- I ordered QTY 25, SS 10-24 x 3/4 round head phillips/slotted machine screws from Amazon @ $3.40.
- Similar to Dave's mod, the man in the video also used a C-582. I ordered QTY 2 from Amazon for $6.48.
To be certain you get the correct spring the AMAZON SPECS READ C-582 3/16" OD x 1/38" L x .016
Total cost was ~ $10.00 US.
Two day delivery to the Midwest

I believe if you go to hardware store like Tru-Value they should also have these. Probably for a tad less as you wont have to buy QTY 25 machine screws or 2 pack of springs.

If it doesn't work then I am out $10.00....However, it is very similar to Dave's mod (thank you Dave!) and that gives me confidence as its using the same spring. The only problem is its a crude mod compared to Daves. KUDO's also Dave on your craftsmanship!

wywindsor
02-28-2024, 07:55 PM
My vote is JARD. I bought one to replace the accu trigger while chasing my tail on some machine work I did. This is the fastest trigger replacement you can do. 3 minutes. It fits well with no shims like the sloppy factory accu trigger. No mods to the springs. Factory set to your specs. Not sure if you can adjust it is the only con I have. Crisp with no drag or grit. And it's 219 bucks.

i did start on my 223/6.5 factory triggers but have not finished yet. Not looking for light as it will be on the 223 coyote gun. 3#s and crisp.

wywindsor
02-28-2024, 08:08 PM
By the way these are savage axis II setups. I now have a 110 to play with.

GrenGuy
02-28-2024, 08:49 PM
I'm giving up on the ELF trigger I purchased last year for my BVSS. It just never performed to satisfaction . It feels somewhat mushy and remains as crunchy as a bag of cornflakes ( even after a trip back to the factory). Can anyone recommend a trigger and /or process that can get me below 1# (and preferably closer to 1/2 that?) I see Rifle Basix advertises 14 oz but I'm not sure if that's accurate or if it could be improved upon. This is a bench rest range gun and I'm somewhat used to 10 oz on most of my similarly purposed rifles. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
You want the Rifle Basics Savage II. You may get it to 4 ozs. if You work at it enough. With the Rifle Basics Savage I, You will be lucky to get it below 22 ozs.

Rocketvapor
03-03-2024, 09:41 AM
I haven't installed the lighter springs in the Trigger or Blade yet.
The trigger force total has gone DOWN with about 200 rounds (plus a lot of dry fires).

Blade is about 8 oz.
I'll check this after the next range trip but it is UNDER a pound total.

Trigger doesn't seem to be able to be tripped working the bolt or bumping the stock/action.

Dave Hoback
03-03-2024, 10:13 AM
My Accutrigger safety blade spring is maybe half that or less.

Rocketvapor
03-03-2024, 10:19 AM
I'll get around to the blade spring mod but for now I'll watch and see what happens this week.
Range trip Wed or Thurs after the rain passes here.
Once I drop the blade force, this thing will be WAY less than a pound total.

Gonna have to get a better trigger gauge.
This one reads OK above 2 pounds but reads a little light down around a pound.
This is 500grams plus 1 gram for the rubber band, 17.7 oz

Dave Hoback
03-03-2024, 01:15 PM
To be honest Rocket, I don’t even have one of those Trigger pull weight scales. Never have. I think they are misleading. Not in the measurement, but rather, I mean misleading to the shooter. I started doing trigger jobs on firearms over 2-decades ago. I quickly learned that people tend to chase a low number when it comes to triggers. This need of a featherweight trigger of a certain Number, is the overwhelming attitude. Especially to newer shooters/owners. Through all the firearms I’ve owned, I’ve actually never purchased an aftermarket trigger. (Except in the cases of 1911’s I’ve built. But I’ve explained that before.) I have, however, modified the factory trigger of almost every firearm I’ve owned. I’ve learned there is so much more to a trigger besides the weight a little scale says. The elements of a trigger pull for our rifles being Take-Up, Creep, Break & Overtravel. In the case of Semi-Automatics, there is also Reset. Now, a gritty-Creep ridden trigger with spongy Break & loads of Overtravel could still show only One Pound on that little scale. But it will feel terrible to the shooter. Yet, most of time all people care about us what that little scale says. Once they achieve whatever number they came up with, all is well. Meanwhile, however, another trigger may register 2lbs, yet Break cleanly, just falling away from the finger almost. With a smooth crisp feeling & then stop, like it hits a wall; having zero Overtravel. Thats what I concentrate on. Of course I use lighter springs, matched correctly. This is why I started experimenting with & finally found a good replacement for the Safety Blade spring. I’ve seen too many people on the forum install the Target spring in their factory standard Accutrigger and then start having way too frequent the times of the Safety Blade tripping. They then wonder why. It’s because the the springs used are not matched. If a lighter Trigger spring is used, a lighter Safety Blade spring must also be used. Just as the factory Red Blade, Target Accutrigger uses a lighter blade spring.

Rocketvapor
03-03-2024, 01:44 PM
I understand those with experience based trigger feel.
For the wife coming from a 2 pound AR trigger to the Savage I want to KNOW what the pull is.
Was just surprised how much it cleaned up with a couple hundred rounds.
Just watching it wear in (wear out? :) ).
Creep, and break can't be shown on a cheap scale without data logging.
Compared to my AR trigger this thing is crisp, sharp, and I can't feel anything in it before it snaps.
A small amount of overtravel has it's plusses and minuses.
My AR two stage is about 1.5 pounds and I put up with a slow reset since it's single load.

My Girsan 1911 is about 4.5 pounds but is a defensive arm.
Took it down to parade rest and fit pieces putting it back together.
The wife's Kimber is about 3 pounds, out of the box.
Lighter but still OK.

prdatr
03-03-2024, 05:53 PM

Hey Rocket,

How far SE are you? I have family in Larose.