PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Nut Tool

liltank
12-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't really have the money to get a proper tool right now, and I really don't want to pay a smith to put my new barrel on. Is there any other tools that I may have laying around the house or I can pick up at Lowes to do the job of loosening and tightening the barrel nut?

Tank

Blue Avenger
12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
pipe wrenches, but they leave marks

what part of the country are you in, maybe some one near that can help.

liltank
12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Live in central PA. I have access to a couple of different gunsmiths, but really didn't want to have to a pay a smith either.

Tank

Cycler
12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Sharp Shooters Supply sells a very good barrel nut wrench for about $40 and Midway has an adequate one for $30. You can improvise a barrel vise with a bench vise and some inletted hardwood blocks.

A gunsmith will probably charge that or more than the proper wrench. I suppose a pipe wrench will do the job but you won't like the way the rifle looks after you are through. Do it with the correct tool.

sha-ul
12-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Live in central PA. I have access to a couple of different gunsmiths, but really didn't want to have to a pay a smith either.

Tank

there are quite a few members in Pa, you might post a town nearby& see if anyone else is near ;)

hailstone
12-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I've used this method on other things that I didn't want scratched, marred or damaged.. Use something soft between the barrel nut and pipe wrench. Good cheap item is a copper tubing fitting that you sweat onto the pipe. Get a coupling close to the diameter of the barrel nut. Cut with a hacksaw to cover the barrel nut then cut a slit in it allowing it to expand or contract depending on original size. I would make sure to use Kroil penatrating fluid on the threads before attempting anything.. My experience is most nuts are not overly tight but my first one was one from hell. You could do the same with the action and another copper coupling clamping it in a vise with 1/4-28 bolt in the front action hole preventing it from turning in the vise. If you proceed slowly and watch what your doing I believe you could successfully loosen the barrel nut.

leather5to1
12-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Installing a new barrel isn't where you really need the tool, getting a factory nut loose is a different story. Don't mean to sound negative but if you can afford the barrel, headspace gage, and to shoot the new barrel in what is a $40 tool?

liltank
12-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Installing a new barrel isn't where you really need the tool, getting a factory nut loose is a different story. Don't mean to sound negative but if you can afford the barrel, headspace gage, and to shoot the new barrel in what is a $40 tool?

Well I kinda blew my budget on the barrel and a few other things. I will more than likely just take it to the one smith. He said it would be $50 or $60 to set the head spacing and put the new barrel on. I wanted to see if I could get away with a generic way of doing so. Guess I will have to bight the bullet for now. I plan on getting the proper tools eventually so that I can switch calibers.

Tank

P.S. Don't own the head spacing gauges either. Would have to purchase those as well. Was going to set off a sized piece of brass.

bigngreen
12-15-2010, 12:34 AM
All it takes is and 1 1/4 box end wrench and some drill bits, put the wrench on and fit 4 bits into the slots on the nut till it's tight enough to lock on the nut and turn it. Worked very well till I got the right tool!! Might have been a 1 1/8th after thinking about it. ::)

coyotewallace
12-15-2010, 03:59 AM
no comment!!.....jesus

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=288765

whit
12-15-2010, 05:05 AM
where in central PA and what caliber?

possum1
12-15-2010, 07:25 AM
All it takes is and 1 1/4 box end wrench and some drill bits Never thought of that, now that is ingenuity :D

LHitchcox
12-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Another short cut is to use the pipe wrench to get the old nut off and then replace the nut with a new or used one. Lots of guys did that with the smooth nut that had the hole for the pin spanner.

rfurman24
12-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Well I kinda blew my budget on the barrel and a few other things. I will more than likely just take it to the one smith. He said it would be $50 or $60 to set the head spacing and put the new barrel on. I wanted to see if I could get away with a generic way of doing so. Guess I will have to bight the bullet for now. I plan on getting the proper tools eventually so that I can switch calibers.

Tank

P.S. Don't own the head spacing gauges either. Would have to purchase those as well. Was going to set off a sized piece of brass.

These guys just told you the wrench was $40.00. I headspace with brass for the go gauge and brass with scotch tape for the no gauge.

possum1
12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
The wrench Jim has at NSS is $25, nice well made wrench too.

Balljoint
12-15-2010, 06:43 PM
If your a tool guy you must have a STRAP WRENCH laying around, use the pipe wrench to take off the nut (unless you don,t have another nut) then use the box wrench and then use the strap wrench to put the nut on

possum1
12-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry to high-jack the thread :) I've got plenty of the tools, just don't have the funds for the barrel's :'(

bigngreen
12-16-2010, 05:35 PM
All it takes is and 1 1/4 box end wrench and some drill bits Never thought of that, now that is ingenuity :D

It was shameless idea steeling, works great without damaging the nut like a pipe wrench and I have extra long wrenches so I don't have to beat on things, the harder you pull the tighter the drill bits cam, found it to be stronger than the Wheeler wrench, now use the SSS wrench for the most part but if I hit a had one I use the wrench and drill bits, haven't ruined a nut yet, knock on wood! Haven't ran up against the new nut yet ???

Uncle Jack
12-16-2010, 05:51 PM
What size drill bits? I like the concept.

uj

liltank
12-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys. A couple guys stepped up and giving me proper wrench opportunities.

Thanks,
Tank